Avoid PPI and Soundstream DSP's

wew lad
5,000+ posts

wew lad inc
VA
As it stands, PPI and Soundstream DSP's (the 88R, and the Harmony) are on my **** list

I just had a PPI-DSP88R fail on me after about a year and a half. Specifically, the remote no longer works and it is required for the main board to function normally. The blue led illuminates as normal on the main module, however the remote has failed in a circumstance where the accent light under the volume knob is illuminated, however none of the other lights are functional and thus the remote is not communicating with the main board. I have looked at the board and found no obvious failure points. It could be the remote, or the actual board that has failed. Not worth my time to troubleshoot it further.

While it is a cheap DSP, what's not cheap is having to replace it within 2 years, let alone 10+ years as I would expect is a reasonable lifetime for electronics

And that's why you stick with a quality built brand. Those are mainstream, budget type guess if that's the right way to say it.

And that's why you stick with a quality built brand. Those are mainstream, budget type guess if that's the right way to say it.
You are running soundstream amps...

So you've kinda proven my mindset, some cheaper electronics are a-ok, but it's hard to know without accurate reviews relating to longevity.

You are running soundstream amps...
So you've kinda proven my mindset, some cheaper electronics are a-ok, but it's hard to know without accurate reviews relating to longevity.
Yeah, but....I wouldn't get a DSP thru SS tho...amps maybe, depends which ones but sound processors I would go with another brand. Some brands I'll buy amps, subs from while other speakers I'll choose another brand, not the same brand that I have the sub/amp from.

well the local 162 db team alphard guy went through 3 audison bit ones all failing him. Thats quality.... Just that quality cant handle 162 db pressure lol.

Wow, you're late to the party realizing those brands are junk. The rest of us got that memo almost 20 years ago.
I get that, I'd still rather post this because I didn't find much referencing failures in this realm specifically. There's still plenty out there for sale and if I can steer people away who may only visit one forum I consider that a plus

The step up from the 88 was made by mini DSP
Which one? I'm a little confused by what you're saying. miniDSP helped them design it, or are you recommending a miniDSP product?

Why would a 162db build need a DSP in the first place
A lot of PA speakers needing major adjustments not to sound like absolute garbage. He also has that level of mids and highs that easily rivals/surpasses the Brazilians as well and it actually sounds pleasant in comparison... Not my cup of tea but it does sound massively better with the bit one compared to without it.

I'm leaning towards a Mini DSP myself. But before I get there, I need a new headunit for Good CD playback. Funny thing is, my cheap 120 Pioneer deck sounds great over USB Better then cd, so I'm ok for now. But a full active system will be in the works sooner or later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

wew lad

5,000+ posts
wew lad inc
wew lad
VA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies