avital avi start 4400??

Participant count
  • Participant list

atwistd1
10+ year member

okay so i just got this alarm installed and i think that it should go off if you open the doors or hatch while it is armed. correct? cause i was messin around with it today showin a friend how "great a system it is" and when i opened the doors, nothing happened, so i disarmed it and rearmed it and tried again, i left the window down and armed it, reached inside and opened the door and nothing, so now i open the hatch... nothing, i close the door and the shock sensor sets off the alarm, i have had this alarm in for about a week now and did not realize that the door trigger was not working or is it supposet to be this way? this model is avitals top of the line unit and shares the same brain as the viper 791 does. any ideas?

ARe you opening the door right after you arm it? give it about 10-15seconds if you are then try.

Also as kaezoo stated, does your doomlight come on? depends on if they tapped into the doorlight or if each door has individual triggers.

A couple possibilities:

#1: It may be in Valet mode. Does the LED flash when it's armed, or does it stay on solid? Does the siren chirp when you arm it? If the LED flashes and the siren chirps, then:

#2: You may need to wait out the dome light delay. If the dome light stays on for a little while after the doors are closed, wait until it goes out, then wait five seconds, then open the door. If the alarm still doesn't trigger, then it's time to take it back to the shop.

Is this in a Blazer?

A couple possibilities:
#1: It may be in Valet mode. Does the LED flash when it's armed, or does it stay on solid? Does the siren chirp when you arm it? If the LED flashes and the siren chirps, then:
yes led flashes, siren chirps.

#2: You may need to wait out the dome light delay. If the dome light stays on for a little while after the doors are closed, wait until it goes out, then wait five seconds, then open the door. If the alarm still doesn't trigger, then it's time to take it back to the shop.
yes there is a dome light delay, i will try your suggestion now and post results later

Is this in a Blazer?
yes 2002 blazer.

Well, it appears that the problem lies in the programming, i spoke to the shop and they are going to reprogram the alarm, this will be the 3rd time as they keep leaving features inactive. kinda makes me wonder how DEI goes about screening their dealer/install shops and to what level of standards they are held to. This shop has already had to reinstall the whole alarm once due to the fact that thier first installer hooked everything up wrong, then had to reprogram it cause the remote start lost the key coding for the passlock system, then a reprogram to allow the rear hatch to open via the remote, then the door lock on ignition was conflicting with the factory door lock on gear engage and speed. Now this, it is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth about DEI and its network of dealers here in New Jersey, especially that the regional sales rep (Jeff) for DEI personally reccommended this shop as "one of the top DEI dealers in the northeast" Hmmmm!

kinda makes me wonder how DEI goes about screening their dealer/install shops and to what level of standards they are held to.
Well every circuit city and best buy is an authorized dealer, if that tells you anything.

This shop has already had to reinstall the whole alarm once due to the fact that thier first installer hooked everything up wrong, then had to reprogram it cause the remote start lost the key coding for the passlock system, then a reprogram to allow the rear hatch to open via the remote, then the door lock on ignition was conflicting with the factory door lock on gear engage and speed.
Everything except for the reinstalling the whole alarm is pretty minor. Reprogramming the bypass is a matter of starting the car and letting it run for 10seconds(so they might of thrown you a line on that one). The trunkpop is relatively simple, it should actually be already programmed on the remote(channel two output), unless they were trying to drive it without a relay(which from your experience wouldn't suprise me). And the ignition controlled doorlocks is easy to disable. How long did it take them to do all this?

Now this, it is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth about DEI and its network of dealers here in New Jersey, especially that the regional sales rep (Jeff) for DEI personally reccommended this shop as "one of the top DEI dealers in the northeast" Hmmmm!
Top DEI dealer might mean they purchase the largest ammount of DEI products.

Well every circuit city and best buy is an authorized dealer, if that tells you anything.

Everything except for the reinstalling the whole alarm is pretty minor. Reprogramming the bypass is a matter of starting the car and letting it run for 10seconds(so they might of thrown you a line on that one). The trunkpop is relatively simple, it should actually be already programmed on the remote(channel two output), unless they were trying to drive it without a relay(which from your experience wouldn't suprise me). And the ignition controlled doorlocks is easy to disable. How long did it take them to do all this?
it took about a half hour each time it was reprogrammed and the initial install was 2 1/2 hours, the 2nd install was 4 hours, now they want the car for atleast 2 hours to fix the door issue. according to the guy from DEI it was not based on volume as much as them having the "best and most experienced installers in the area with that product"

i guess next time i will do my research on the installer or shop alittle better. I know that some of the programming issues were minor things but i would have thought that any shop doing an install would take the time to see what features the customer needs and wants then test the system before giving it back. You should have seen the truck after the first install, there were literlly exposed wires everywhere, even on the dash, the wire for the antenna was not even tucked in anywhere, just laying across the dash, screws from the dash were left in the cup holder and the brain was taped to the inside bottom dash trim piece that was left unscrewed, i should have taken pictures! when the manager of the shop saw it they could not even believe it, supposedly the guy was gonna get fired for it, while i was there they were fixing another customers car that this same installer severed some wires on the backside of the fuse block and the people found out cause when the car would not run they took it back to the dealer (brand new car) apparently every wire he tapped, he broke in half.

Ya know, you take a car or truck to a shop referred to you by the manufacturer of the product so that the job is done right and you get a mess in return. If i would have had the time, space and proper tools, i could have probably done a better job, but i left it to "the professionals" and see where that got me... LOL

i just hope it is fixed this time for good, i got this alarm cause the truck was broken into about a month ago and the sound system was cleaned out right in front of my house. So now i have closed circuit camera's on all corners of the house and a 2 way alarm, hopefully now i can install the new system and rest easy, but not till the alarm is right.

Wherever the problem lies, it's not in the programming; there's no programming option that will make the alarm ignore the door trigger when it's armed. They didn't leave a feature inactive; they hooked up the door trigger wrong if it's not triggering the alarm after the dome light shuts off.

The rear hatch has its own pin so don't assume that if they fix the door problem that they've also fixed the hatch problem.

My opinion: any shop that doesn't check and make sure the door triggers are working after they finish an alarm install isn't any shop you want to have installing an alarm.

Edit: As long as you're taking it back anyway, make sure there's a switch installed on the hood so the remote start can't activate if the hood's open. Lazy installers often skip that. It will also trigger the alarm if someone opens the hood to cut the battery wires or find the siren. If they didn't install a hood switch or a remote start kill switch, they need to do that or you may end up getting sued by a mechanic someday after the engine starts while he's working on the vehicle.

Wherever the problem lies, it's not in the programming; there's no programming option that will make the alarm ignore the door trigger when it's armed. They didn't leave a feature inactive; they hooked up the door trigger wrong if it's not triggering the alarm after the dome light shuts off.
The rear hatch has its own pin so don't assume that if they fix the door problem that they've also fixed the hatch problem.

My opinion: any shop that doesn't check and make sure the door triggers are working after they finish an alarm install isn't any shop you want to have installing an alarm.

Edit: As long as you're taking it back anyway, make sure there's a switch installed on the hood so the remote start can't activate if the hood's open. Lazy installers often skip that. It will also trigger the alarm if someone opens the hood to cut the battery wires or find the siren. If they didn't install a hood switch or a remote start kill switch, they need to do that or you may end up getting sued by a mechanic someday after the engine starts while he's working on the vehicle.
there is a pin on the hood, and according to tech support at DEI the door pin activation is a programmable option on this model. It needs to be reset with a bitwritter or via the programming switch(valet button). even if the door pins are wired properly, the function of the alarm to go off if tripped can be turned off in effect. i am sitting here reading the programming manual that came with the alarm which apparrently the shop is not supposed to give out to customers cause the tech support guy was like, "how did you get that... you are not supposed to have that, the shop is not supposed to give those to the customer it is a violation of their dealer agreement" I was like are you kidding me it is not like it is top secret or anything plus i bought the alarm so i should have everything that i paid for, including programming instructions, not that i will use them.

according to tech support at DEI the door pin activation is a programmable option on this model. It needs to be reset with a bitwritter or via the programming switch(valet button). even if the door pins are wired properly, the function of the alarm to go off if tripped can be turned off in effect.

Not according to the 4400 install manual I'm reading, and I've never seen that programming option on any other DEI product I've installed. There is an option for progressive door trigger settings, but that's not the same thing; it doesn't disable the door trigger, just switches it from instant alarm to warning chirps first. But of course it's possible that DEI tech support knows something I don't.

I'm still betting that they're miswired. If it's simply a programming issue you should be in and out in less than five minutes, so chances are you'll know soon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.