Autotek... Any good?

evil_lies

Texas
I know it's very much a "you get what you pay for" thing, but I'm am trying find a budget amp producing 300-500 watts at 4ohms. I know these amps probably don't hit their stated ratings, but are they better than Boss or Crunch? I read a review on here saying their Mean Machine series is decent, but that was back from 2009, and a lot of things change. Thanks!

I know it's very much a "you get what you pay for" thing, but I'm am trying find a budget amp producing 300-500 watts at 4ohms. I know these amps probably don't hit their stated ratings, but are they better than Boss or Crunch? I read a review on here saying their Mean Machine series is decent, but that was back from 2009, and a lot of things change. Thanks!
What are you looking to spend?

Well, not happy with my two Autotek amps. I am going to admit, I was out of car audio since mid 90's back the Autotek was a great name! So when I got back in around 2 years ago I bought a pair of Mean Machine amps. I thought they looked great with the LED blue surrounds. Well, the first 4 channel amp a 1000.4 lasted about 4 months and it got hot and died. Doesn't even turn on and the fuses are good. Then I got a 2000.4 to replace it and it seems okay but I am not impressed with the power at all. I used the 2500.1d to drive two of their 12" subs at 1ohm in small sealed boxes and sent that back - it ****** probably because the enclosures need a ton of power! Now I have the 4000.1d and it is pretty decent. I still wish I had bought another brand though.

Last series of good autotek:

LS-mm40001d-RB.jpg

I remember a shop demo jeep that ran 2 40001ds on 4 of those same series 12s. Was a monster.

Best thing to do period is to hold off on buying anything until the budget doubles. Or else youll be wasting money on junk left and right costing you way more than you originally wanted to spend and still get horrid results.

Lets say you go through 4 cheapo amps... each 50 dollars all junk. That could have been a quality 200 dollar amp that lasts longer and performed way more than you could even fathom

Well, not happy with my two Autotek amps. I am going to admit, I was out of car audio since mid 90's back the Autotek was a great name! So when I got back in around 2 years ago I bought a pair of Mean Machine amps. I thought they looked great with the LED blue surrounds. Well, the first 4 channel amp a 1000.4 lasted about 4 months and it got hot and died. Doesn't even turn on and the fuses are good. Then I got a 2000.4 to replace it and it seems okay but I am not impressed with the power at all. I used the 2500.1d to drive two of their 12" subs at 1ohm in small sealed boxes and sent that back - it ****** probably because the enclosures need a ton of power! Now I have the 4000.1d and it is pretty decent. I still wish I had bought another brand though.
why did u keep buying the same brand when the amps kept taking a ****?

Best thing to do period is to hold off on buying anything until the budget doubles. Or else youll be wasting money on junk left and right costing you way more than you originally wanted to spend and still get horrid results.
Lets say you go through 4 cheapo amps... each 50 dollars all junk. That could have been a quality 200 dollar amp that lasts longer and performed way more than you could even fathom
I get that, and it's what I would normally do. However, I got a baby due in about 2 weeks and don't foresee having extra funds for a while. I may hold out anyway if all I find is crap (which I am pretty sure that's all I'll find at this budget).

What sub are you looking to drive? Maybe someone here may have a amp they would sell you. I will take a look tomorrow in my storage for something. I know I have 20 or so amps that I'm coming to terms that I most likely will never use. Also some old prefab boxes and subwoofers. Along with my RC cars ,boats , and Trucks I'm not using. I'm working on a new front stage wall along each side anf have some amps and steakers,,,,..;.///////

What sub are you looking to drive? Maybe someone here may have a amp they would sell you. I will take a look tomorrow in my storage for something. I know I have 20 or so amps that I'm coming to terms that I most likely will never use. Also some old prefab boxes and subwoofers. Along with my RC cars ,boats , and Trucks I'm not using. I'm working on a new front stage wall along each side anf have some amps and steakers,,,,..;.///////
I appreciate it, but I would imagine shipping would blow the budget and get any money to a member. I was hoping to upgrade some old equipment I haven't used in a long time, but I don't think it's feasible at the moment so I'm just going to use what I have for now. Anyway, it's an old MTX Thunder 6000 sub. The trouble is it's an 8 ohm speaker so I need a bigger amp. After thinking about it, maybe I should just do what Jeffdachef said and wait to buy a better amp, that way I can upgrade the sub later.

Ok, sounds like I'll be hitting pawn shops for something used then...
I can sell you a very clean used old school autotek amp that will do the power you want and in your price range. Let me know and I'll post some pics when I get home

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

evil_lies

evil_lies
Texas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
hispls