Audiovoxx 800.2 or Tsunami DB-1100D? Which one?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Belgarion
10+ year member

Considering the sub is an Ed 12o.44, which of these amps would be better.

And yes, I realize they are from the same company... but the Tsunami is a little more powerfull, has a SSF, and is $25 cheaper. But, the 800.2 has a 2 year warranty....

Which would you choose, and why?

Thanks all!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

The Tsunami is better in every way that is important, SSF, cheaper and has more power. And the warranty issue, well are you near an authorized dealer that can fix it right away? probably not and you are just going to have to send out your amp anyways, so you will have to pay for shipping and stuff. As long as you don't do something dumb to your amp, it will last a long time.

Originally posted by namster44 The Tsunami is better in every way that is important, SSF, cheaper and has more power.

So build quality isn't important? Last time I checked it was...

Ben said both are quality made, just that the avionixx is more beefed up.

Thanks for the replies. The staff at Ed are definately top-notch! They have been replying to my emails almost instantly, and are very helpfull! I am definately glad I bought that sub!

So 650 RMS would be way too much power for the 12o? Even if I kept the gains low?

One more thing: the guys at Ed told me that the crossover on the Audiovoxx is much better than the one on the Tsunami, and that I do not need the SSF if I am not going to be using the 12o in a box tuned above 35hz. Does this (tuning a box) imply a ported box? If I use a sealed box, will I not have to worry about the SSF? And what, in layman's terms, does a crossover do and why do I care if one has a much better build quality than the other? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Thanks!

oh yea, build quality does count, but I ASSUMED that this wasn't a factor because of the two companies we are dealing with. And you don't need to worry about a SSF if you plan to use a sealed box. SSF are good if you are using lots of power in a ported box.

Originally posted by Belgarion Thanks for the replies. The staff at Ed are definately top-notch! They have been replying to my emails almost instantly, and are very helpfull! I am definately glad I bought that sub!

So 650 RMS would be way too much power for the 12o? Even if I kept the gains low?

One more thing: the guys at Ed told me that the crossover on the Audiovoxx is much better than the one on the Tsunami, and that I do not need the SSF if I am not going to be using the 12o in a box tuned above 35hz. Does this (tuning a box) imply a ported box? If I use a sealed box, will I not have to worry about the SSF? And what, in layman's terms, does a crossover do and why do I care if one has a much better build quality than the other? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Thanks!
Oh, 650wrms should be perfect. I thought you were going to run it @ 1 ohm, which would be 1100 watts.

Anyways the "o" series wasn't made for Ported applications. Go w/ sealed, where a SSF is NOT necessary.

The crossover pretty much regulates which frequencies will be played by the sub.

Originally posted by xjmadness Oh, 650wrms should be perfect. I thought you were going to run it @ 1 ohm, which would be 1100 watts.

Anyways the "o" series wasn't made for Ported applications. Go w/ sealed, where a SSF is NOT necessary.

The crossover pretty much regulates which frequencies will be played by the sub.
Great! That pretty much clears it up for me.....

So, since the Avionixx seems to have a slightly better build than the Tsunami, and according to Ed it will give me 500 WRMS to the one 12o.44, and 1k WRMS to a second if I add one later, and has a MUCH better crossover, then it boils down to my paying $25 for a 2-year warranty with no SSF (which I am going for sealed anyway... definately worth it....

Thanks for the help! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by xjmadness Oh, 650wrms should be perfect. I thought you were going to run it @ 1 ohm, which would be 1100 watts.

well if you looked at the model number of the O and hit the eD site you would see it is a dual 4 ohm coil config on the O. sooo it would be a 2 ohm load or 650 from the tsunami.

will the avionixx take a 2 ohm load? or would it have to be wired in 4 ohm stereo?

i would go for the tsunami as it gives more flexability for all those sub swapouts that might happen later. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Monty

Originally posted by musthavemuzk well if you looked at the model number of the O and hit the eD site you would see it is a dual 4 ohm coil config on the O. sooo it would be a 2 ohm load or 650 from the tsunami.

will the avionixx take a 2 ohm load? or would it have to be wired in 4 ohm stereo?

i would go for the tsunami as it gives more flexability for all those sub swapouts that might happen later. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Monty
I emailed Ed and they gave me the pros and cons of each amp.... I bought the 800.2 and should have it next week! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.