Audio Source, Salem OR

shava
10+ year member

ShaversDaFlava
Salem, OR
First impression is just they were a little over priced on their stuff. It sounded like the staff knew their stuff. But there was one employee that was helping me and this just kind of pissed me off.

I asked him if they had type R's so I could just get a feel like what they wanted for them and he said they didnt have them. Then he turned to his co-worker and laughed a little bit and said something like we dont sell garbage/crap. I was just like wow, and you want me to buy something from here...

They have a little sound pressure room with like 20 or so earthquakes in bass tubes and he cranked it up and it was loud as hell, im guessing hitting 140's and it was not up all the way, but thats with them hitting your face.

One last thing, these guys just think earthquakes are amazing and everyone should play a **** load of money to get one, they really dont believe in a good budget system (type r)

Their wire prices were ok, but since that ******* guy, im probably not going back there because they are kind of spendy.

I know what you mean, they put down stuff that they dont sell. I thought they were dicks at first, but if you hang around the shop for a couple days and talk to the older guy jerry (the owner) he is cool as hell, and he can teach even a professional more about car stereo. next time you are in there ask for the sub box class, and he will go though all different kinds of enclosures and the difference in them, very very usefull. I feel that this is one of the only legit audio shops in oregon, they are real people that are down to earth, and there not all about money either, they will even help you calculate port size needed and cuft. for the box you are building if your building your own, and they build some very nice boxes as well, I woulndt go any were else to buy car audio, If you want cheaper prices go to ebay, but if you are gonna buy something local, go to them, help support the real SPL people in salem. they also hold car stereo compitions and the winner gets gift certifigates.

just trust me, once you get to know these guys you will love them.

as for your type-r's to each his own, Im a power acoustik person myself, for the money for the mofo series, you just cant beat the sound quality, response and SPL. my 15" mofo was way louder then my memphis mojo (7db louder)

cheers -trevor

as for your type-r's to each his own, Im a power acoustik person myself, for the money for the mofo series, you just cant beat the sound quality, response and SPL. my 15" mofo was way louder then my memphis mojo (7db louder)

cheers -trevor
please tell me your are kidding... I've dealt with MOFO's quite extensively and yes.. you can. Don't get me wrong great budget SPL woofers, but SQ & response... come on man.

I'm saying MOFO's do not have good SQ... at all. They are good budget SPL subwoofers that can handle a good amount of power (we had (2) 15's with a PA a3000db per sub). Believe me I'm a PA fan myself but the MOFO's are budget SPL woofers. They do not sound good at all.

mine sounded awsome, it put the memphis mojo to shame, in sq and SPL which cost me waaaayyyyy more money, it even hit every beat of my brothers crappy deathmetal with double bass drums at 100million mph. it was tight and sounded good with just about everything, RHCP, hip hop, country? It might have just been a good combo of port and box sizing, but I was thoughroughly impressed. maybe we have had different model years or something cause I will swear up and down by this sub, and Ive heard alot of different systems.

sorry that you had a bad experiance but i went here many times and each time was very enjoyable the compression room hits around 155 now but at one time they had it at 163 i dont know which time you entered it and it only has 15 12" older earthquakes my cousin bought one of the dmxi's and i was not really happy with it but for the price it was ok i was really happy with the box that i bought though i had 2 10" phenoix golds tantrums in it and hit 142 db in my old Honda civic then i went and bought two Boston acoustics g5 and they didnt hit as had in the same box jerry is making a truck with 8 8" in it and says it will hit 150 db anyone know more about this i live in baton rouge now and can not see it

Ok, i see there are some mixed reviews about Audiosource. I'm going to let all you noobs who think bad about Audiosource know the truth. The older guy Jerry(the owner) is probably the smartest old man out there when it comes to loud bass. That guy knows his stuff. He is a big teenager who knows what makes good bass and what makes bad bass. Go down there and take his box class. He will show you the difference between a sealed, ported, tube and bandpass box. The truth of the matter is that the speaker does not determine "Performance", the Box determines "Performance". The box makes the bass either hit or miss. If you Tune a Ported box with the correct port, It will hit hard enough to make your teeth rattle out your head. Sealed boxes just dont have the output a Tuned box does and bandpass box's are for girls that want something flashy. Did you know that a 8" subwoofer can hit just as hard as a 15" when placed in the right box? And that a $10 speaker can outperform a $500 speaker with the same Power, just different box's? And as for the "compression" chamber at audiosource, It is INSANE. They have 15: 15" earthquake's(lowest model they make), all in tubes that are tuned with the "PNR" ports. It hits 160db all day.(im sure it could be louder by now). Jerry wins world record after world record out of his little shop. He wont sell you some "Crap" There are much better speakers then the Type R. Remember-Box determines performance. I have a set of 8" MA Audio subs and they outperform most 2-12" setups with only 300watts.(the box was tuned by audiosource after i built it) BOTTOM LINE, if you want a world record setting system go to audiosource. If you want a fried wiring harness go to direct audio-They will also be happy to rip you off on the price of a speaker!! Audiosource is the king of all stereo shops...Don't believe me? Go sit in the compression chamber!!!

Oh, and my stereo is louder than yours //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

First impression is just they were a little over priced on their stuff. It sounded like the staff knew their stuff. But there was one employee that was helping me and this just kind of pissed me off.
I asked him if they had type R's so I could just get a feel like what they wanted for them and he said they didnt have them. Then he turned to his co-worker and laughed a little bit and said something like we dont sell garbage/crap. I was just like wow, and you want me to buy something from here...

They have a little sound pressure room with like 20 or so earthquakes in bass tubes and he cranked it up and it was loud as hell, im guessing hitting 140's and it was not up all the way, but thats with them hitting your face.

One last thing, these guys just think earthquakes are amazing and everyone should play a **** load of money to get one, they really dont believe in a good budget system (type r)

Their wire prices were ok, but since that ******* guy, im probably not going back there because they are kind of spendy.
So here I am checking Google to see if Audio Source had a website, and I run across this nonsense post. Enough so to actually make me register here and reply.

This is the way I see it.

#1 Apparently you didn't look all that hard at prices to even say that they are over priced. They are easily one of the best priced Audio shops I have ever come across in Oregon.

#2 They sell what they believe in and frankly if Jerry Krocker (Owner) believes in Earthquake it's for a **** good reason.

#3 You make Alpine Type-R's seem like some god send to the car audio world. Take you're little Type-R & your custom box into Audio Source and ask Jerry to put together a cheaper sub & box and compare how they sound/perform...

#4 None of them guys have ever been an ******* to me there, they have always been nice, courteous & willing to help. What they don't know Jerry will drop what he's doing and spend upwards of an HOUR with you just explaining how subs, amps etc..work..and then sit your happy ass down for his infamous box class. Which can be another 30 minutes of pure 100% learning.

#5 I believe Audio Source holds the Pacific Northwest record with ONLY 2 10" subs in a custom box, Audio Source is known pretty much anywhere, been featured is MANY audio magazines, Jerry is a personal friend to Alma Gates (if you even know who that is..if you don't then you really don't know a lot about car audio at all...)

#6 They don't believe in a budget system?...what do you think they're Pressure Room is? Them subs are only $25 each and I believe the EARTHQUAKE amp powering them was only like $300...sounds budget to me....BTW Earthquake I believe last year had the worlds most powerful consumer amplifier that was rated at 1300watts but bench tested at more than 14,000watts..I think the amp was only $800?.. D3 series I believe.

With all that said I think you should really consider taking back your quick judgment and go back there and talk with Jerry. The guy has been in this business longer than you have probably been alive. He was building 10,000 watt mono analog amps for competition himself when companies wouldn't, matter of fact there is one hanging on the wall in the shop, you may have seen it. I don't care who you are or how much you THINK you know about car audio, he will teach you something new.

As a side note - You seem to be the type who would/used to shop at places like CarToys, I'll admit I used to be a chain store sucker until I went to Audio Source and that changed my whole mindset, now I goto them for everything car audio related. Audio Source is the prime example; bigger is not always better, more power doesn't mean more bass and you don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a killer sound system.

Oh yea and the guy who says that mofo's **** is smokin crack. i have one 12" mofo in a tuned enclosure and it is one of the loudest single speaker cars in salem oregon. There not the best but they are compareable to the type r and you can get 2 of them for the price of one type r

Oh yea and the guy who says that mofo's **** is smokin crack. i have one 12" mofo in a tuned enclosure and it is one of the loudest single speaker cars in salem oregon. There not the best but they are compareable to the type r and you can get 2 of them for the price of one type r
**** i need to come down to oregon..the comp is a bunch of mofo's and type r's lol

I was just in Audio Source today for a few hours talking to Jerry and I believe he mentioned a car who holds a northwest record using them drivers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...