Audio resale prices

alvitae
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Oregon
I've always been curious why the resale price on used audio is so high, I see used amps selling for just a few dollars below what you can get them new for all the time. Subs don't seem to be quite as bad but still up there considering.

But lets say something like a t.v. you are lucky to get 50% of what you paid for it. Or when I buy a used guitar amp I try to get it for 25-50% of new.

I'm not complaining just curious.

Used values have declined along with the recession on most items - quite a bit. I have quite a bit of data on it based on the trade program I was doing for a while.

people post high values in hopes of some idiot just forking over the money, most end up getting low balled in the end. Ever notice that you rarely see the actual selling price in the classifieds .....

We all know we will get low balled. If we want $150 we must post $200. If we said $150 people would ask us to sell for $100. EVERYTHING used goes this way. Also some products are no longer made so people pay more for them like Orion 2500d, Orion 1200d, HCCA, XTR series and Tru amps, etc etc.

it depend on the item condition. Since alot of member just order subs and never really use them...

beside that, idk. I prefer paying few more bucks on a sub/speakers to get them bnib, but i don't care as much for amps

it depend on the item condition. Since alot of member just order subs and never really use them...
beside that, idk. I prefer paying few more bucks on a sub/speakers to get them bnib, but i don't care as much for amps
I think you'd be better off buying amps new in some cases. Seems like quite a few people on here don't know to set gains properly.

I think you'd be better off buying amps new in some cases. Seems like quite a few people on here don't know to set gains properly.
Not to mention the fact that I have PERSONALLY witnessed kids with stock 80 amp alternators in their Civics trying to power 1,500 watts RMS or more.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif Making matters worse, they believe the BS pushed by the local audio shops when they are told that a 5 farad capacitor is better than an upgraded alternator and battery. Sure, that stock equivalent battery and stock alternator can sustain close to 150 amps of continuous current by the mere addition of a 5 farad cap.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Depends on the market and demographics.

As you go up the ladder, resale value diminishes drastically. The preamp I used to have sold for $2500 when new - I bought it for $1200 only a few years later. Turntables are even worse, I've seen $5k tables selling for $2k or less.

I'm not complaining, it allows me to get better stuff than I'd dream of buying new //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

that must be a nice table .... like a pool table or something ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Agreed with grim.

If I want $100 for an amp, I put up $150 because I know I'm gonna get lowballed. But yes, generally speaking, audio resale values can be pretty high on amps, head units, etc. Subs, not so much because of the wear and tear they see.

Yea, I guess it must be to allow for lower offers. The other day I seen someone asking more for an amp than an authorized dealer does for brand new so they must be expecting some crazy offers.

I guess I'm just not a wheeler dealer. I usually sell my old stuff locally when I upgrade and I just say half the price of new firm.

Yea, I guess it must be to allow for lower offers. The other day I seen someone asking more for an amp than an authorized dealer does for brand new so they must be expecting some crazy offers.
I guess I'm just not a wheeler dealer. I usually sell my old stuff locally when I upgrade and I just say half the price of new firm.
Since most electronics stuff in quebec is sold over the mspr seen on the website, I usually sell local for around the same price i paid on here

I bought a pair of 12inch type r bnib on ebay that i got for 310$ can shipped. I abused them for 8months and sold them back for 250$. The guy was "wow are you sure you want to sell those at that sick price.... that's the price for one !!!"

indeed they are sold 279,99$ can here... around 320$ each taxes included

I won't have any trouble selling my AQs for atleast 150$ each.

win/win for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.