Audio noob needs help

DetE36

So far I know that in my 1997 BMW M3 that my stock amp cannot be used to power aftermarket speakers well. Current setup is:

JVC KDA625 installed

Front speakers: Currently stock but I have Infinity Reference 5030cs 5.25-Inch components waiting to be installed in the front.

Rear speakers: Stock Harmon/Kardon 6x9's that I plan on removing eventually and just using a single 10" sub in the trunk.

My problem is that I have talked to a lot of different sales people, installers and friends who have all given me different advice. I have very little knowledge on stereos, so now combined with everything I've read I am VERY confused what amp I need to power everything.

One guy says I need a 2 channel for the components and a Mono for the future sub.

Next guy says I need a 4 channel and bridge for the future sub.

Next guy says I should just wire the components to the head unit and get a Mono for the future sub.

I was hoping to not spend much more then $80-130 for an amp. But what kind of amp/ ratings do I realistically need? Keep in mind with your advice that I am a noob and have only been confused by what I've searched and read. Also this is my first total system overhaul and I just want it to sound a little bit better, louder and some more bass. Not looking for a competition setup here. Thanks in advance!

Definitely need an amp for your components, either a 2 channel and a mono for a sub, or a 4 channel will work, it sounds like a 4 channel would be easiest and suit your needs best

Welcome to the forum //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wave.gif.002382ce7d7c19757ab945cc69819de1.gif

I agree with dragnix; separate amps for sub and speakers would be tricky with that budget. You will probably want to look for a 4-channel amp that does around 75W per channel, and bridge the two rear channels for the sub.

What do you listen to?

Are you willing to buy used? Lots of great stuff on this forum.

If i were you i would go with a 4 channel amp that can power ur speakers and a sub, the reason for this is the second you hear ur system ur gonna want to upgrade eventually, u know when u have a higher budget to impress the friends/ girls. Then pick up a sub amp and some nice components for ur speakers. Trust me bro get a 4 channel that u can use to power some ok subs then in a while upgrade ur speakers and subs u can use the amp to power ur new speakers and a new amp and subs to get that good bass. Then u can sell ur old subs or trade them for some better ones on this forum.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm thinking about just doing a 2 channel to power the fronts for now, then later when I'm ready for the sub getting a mono and sub together and running both. Would my alternator be able to handle that kind of load, or would a 4 channel be a better option?

If i were you i would go with a 4 channel amp that can power ur speakers and a sub, the reason for this is the second you hear ur system ur gonna want to upgrade eventually, u know when u have a higher budget to impress the friends/ girls. Then pick up a sub amp and some nice components for ur speakers. Trust me bro get a 4 channel that u can use to power some ok subs then in a while upgrade ur speakers and subs u can use the amp to power ur new speakers and a new amp and subs to get that good bass. Then u can sell ur old subs or trade them for some better ones on this forum.
You mean you think I'll want to trade up from the Infinity's or what? I may be dead wrong, but I was under the impression having reasonable speakers up front and a sub would be ideal for the sound stage? I'm not sure I'll ever be looking for much more in this car, I'll want to keep it on the light side for weights sake anyways for now.

Well either option is best, I think it would be hard to afford a 2channel and a mono on that budget but u never know depends on the sub ur gonna use. both options a 4 channel and a 2channel with another mono will work fine. Just look into how much power u need and what prices you can afford. 1 ten and 2 5 1/4 components should run easily off the stock alternator. You just need to look into how much amperage you're vehicles alternator puts out and how much amperage (fuse rating should tell you this) you're amps are going to be drawing and factor in roughly 60amps to run all the cars lights/accessories/wipers. I'm running a 3600watt rms and a 800watt rms amps off my stock battery and alternator for now. I have dimming for sure but even cranked I don't seem to be drawing too much juice. I'm going to need to upgrade my electrical eventually but I'll be ok for a while. I'm guessing you're system will be around 800-100 watts rms which should operate just fine off stock electrical, however I would highly recommend upgrading your Big 3 to 1/0 cable. This will make a big difference on you're car's electrical.

Maybe consider upgrading you're battery to a decent yellowtop/batcap/deka/oddysey/kinetic/xs or something similar that is made more for aftermarket stereo.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

However with you're budget I'd just run the Big 3 and stock betcha have no electrical issues onesoever

What's Big 3?

And if I take the 2 channel and Mono/sub route I would spend more understandably, my budget isn't extremely strict and I know I'll end up shelling out more when it comes time to pick a sub. Just looking for the best most reasonable solutions while trying to learn what works, while trying to achieve a decent system, doesn't need to be extremely powerful.

Big 3 is the engine and chassis grounds. and the power from ur alternator to ur battery. The wires used stock from the manufactures are like 8gauge or so. Upgrading them to 1/0 sized cable will improve your cars electric system by I'd say like 15-20%

either route is good. If I were you I'd prob get a 2channel for the front speakers and a Mono for the sub. Start with a nice wiring kit though at least 4gauge if not 0 gauge, cuz in the future you're gonna want a distro-block and to hook up the second amp and you don't wanna starve em by using like 8gauge or above sized cable.

Ohhh, that may be difficult. Doubt it will happen with the Big 3. BMW's place their batteries in the trunk so it would require me to run a new power cable from my alternator to my trunk, probably not worth the hassle. A friend of mine did say to definitely use 4 Gauge. Thanks again for the help!

Any recommendations on amps? My front speakers ill be installing are as follows.

Sensitivity 93 dB

Frequency Response 67 - 21k Hz

RMS Power Range (Watts) 2-75

Peak Power Handling (Watts) 225

Impedance (Ohms) 2

Were they a decent buy for $90?

i'd highly suggest getting a 4channel amp also. if you just get a 4 channel amp, then you only need 1 amp wiring kit. you dont sound like a kid who's wanting to learn about car audio, so to me it sounds like you just wanna do this basic system and keep it til the car dies. i don't see you as being the kind of person who will want to upgrade anything later on. doing this, i doubt you'll need the big3, you won't be running that much power that you'll be worried about it. you should look into getting something like a 50x4 or 75x4 amp. you won't ned any bigger than this for what you're wanting todo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.