Audio Guru's Help!! Speaker line input from factory sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

mpthompson84

Hey guys-

I have read COUNTLESS threads on this topic and did not find anything that directly addressed my issue

(08 Jeep Wrangler JK with "Premium" Factory Infinity system)

I just purchased a high power LOC (PAC SNI-50A) to tap into the factory sub wiring harness for my Alpine MRP-M450 amp pushing a 10" JL W7.

PAC recommended this particular LOC over their other options as they stated most LOC's are designed to run off component signal and would likely short/malfunction if running off the higher output factory sub wiring (hence high power LOC)

i just realized that my Alpine amp has speaker level inputs . If i want to use them, i need to purchase the adapter (i apparently lost it) which is maybe $10 after tax...no biggie.

Question:

Being that i already purchased the PAC LOC, is it worth returning the LOC and instead buying the adapter needed to run through the amp Speaker level input? Would the difference between the LOC and Speaker level input be that much different?

If the answer to that is YES, that leads me to my next question. PAC recommended a high power LOC since i am running from the factory sub signal. Would the Speaker Level Input on my Alpine amp be able to handle the voltage/signal from the factory sub wiring harness or would i be at risk of damaging the amp (in which case i'd stick with LOC)?

Thanks in advance guys!

you need to find the speaker wires before the stock amp ,tap in there .what can happen if you tap in after the stock amp , is that you may be sending a clipped signal to the alpine amp ,which is not good for any of your system.

you need to find the speaker wires before the stock amp ,tap in there .what can happen if you tap in after the stock amp , is that you may be sending a clipped signal to the alpine amp ,which is not good for any of your system.
Issue there is that it is a CAN BUS system so if i tap before the amp, i lose volume control of the sub. I dont THINK the alpine amp has an input for a remote volume/gain control either.

well i can be done after the amp , but make sure you set the gains well ,use a dmm
Can you clarify what you mean by DMM ? Sorry, not something i am familiar with.

Do i need to be concerned about damaging my amp by connecting speaker line inputs to the factory sub wiring? I know that PAC specified a "high power" LOC for that purpose so i want to make sure my AMP will not have any issue handling the signal/voltage.

also, Is there going to be a significant benefit of using the amps speaker line inputs vs using a LOC? I already have the LOC but could return it and purchase the adapter for my speaker line input if the advantage i will gain is worth the extra effort.

Thanks again for your help on this Jim

Can you clarify what you mean by DMM ? Sorry, not something i am familiar with.
Do i need to be concerned about damaging my amp by connecting speaker line inputs to the factory sub wiring? I know that PAC specified a "high power" LOC for that purpose so i want to make sure my AMP will not have any issue handling the signal/voltage.

also, Is there going to be a significant benefit of using the amps speaker line inputs vs using a LOC? I already have the LOC but could return it and purchase the adapter for my speaker line input if the advantage i will gain is worth the extra effort.

Thanks again for your help on this Jim
DMM means Digital Multi Meter. A tool to check ohms, volts, amps

either way will work ,but the loc breaks it down to a lower signal which will be cleaner and sound better
Ah ok great. So you think using the LOC is the better option of the two anyways. That makes things easy!

Based on some post i had read, it was recommended running from speaker line inputs on the amp if available (vs LOC) which is what prompted me to ask this question. That being said, i believe in those posts they were tapping into component lines vs a factory sub signal...not even sure if in those posts there was a factory amp to take into account either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.