Audacity Tone Generator

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fi_
10+ year member

King of Diamonds
Fryeburg
Ok so I figured it out now what do I set Amplitude to? if I set it to 0 (figured it was 0dB) theres like no wave if I set it to 1dB theres a wave... I just want to make a 0dB 50hz sine wave... can anyone help me out a bit? I cant seem to find ANY good waves on sites and rOE doesn't work for me.,

does anyone know? haha also does this automatically set the dB to 0? or do I have to manually set it somewhere other than the tone generator. I'm trying to retune my system today so help would be greatly appreciated.

The tone generator uses the formula f(x) = a * sin(2πx), where a is the amplitude and has a value range of 0 - 1. x is the desired frequency, and scales the function so one full cycle is over the course of 1 second when x = 1.

The amplitude represents the potential volume of the tone, where 0 is 0% and 1 is 100%. When listening to music, volume is measured from 0dB down. a 0dB test tone is a test tone at full volume, -3dB test tone is roughly where the bass in a song will peak at (though more commonly at -6dB). This is why when you look at crossovers they say something like 12dB/octave. This means that for every octave the overall amplitude of the music is reduced by -12dB.

I also put this in your original post about test tones, but you seem to be in a hurry so I figured I would post it here too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Enjoy!!

OK, let's see if I can describe this correctly. Open the program and click on "Generate" to get the first pulldown menu, then select "Tone". A pop-up called "Tone Generator" will appear. Enter the freq you want to generate and leave all other settings alone. Now you should have a blue bar near the top of the screen with a section on the left side that says "Audio Track". This is where you set your desired gain level. The slide bar with the "+" and "-" signs controls the level. Dead center is 0dB, far left is -36dB and far right is +36dB. Adjust as desired. Try it out and let me know how it goes! Good luck!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.