• Thread starter <jaylee>
  • Start date
  • Replies 4
  • Views 2K
    Participant count
  • Participant list
&

<jaylee>

I'd like to know if most quality amps can go below their rated ohm load without overheating. And if so how far below.

I have a Crossfire CFA302 amp that's rated 300Wx1 @ 4 ohms. Do you think it could run a higher output at 3 ohms safely???

I would test the theory myself but I don't have the subs. I'm going to buy one soon and was thinking of getting a DVC 6 ohm instead of the DVC 2 ohm to get the most from my amp and I don't want to hassle with any returns since i'm buying online.

I'm looking for some expert advice and the local stereo shop could f@#! up a boiled egg.

Thanks.

Many amps can run below their minimum ohm rating. It's seriously not recommended since you could damage the amp. I mean, I've had Ma Audio amps that are rated for 1 ohm and run them at .5, and have had even Jensen amps running down to 1 ohm. SO it could be done, I wouldn't though. You'll lose lots of clarity, definition, and efficiency. It's not really worht it unless you've got the power and are just burping the subs.

Typically as stated, an amp usually can go slightly below its rated ohm load. Usually it is best to stay within the amps rated guidelines however. When you get into the higher quality/ Class D amps- then you can usually push them a ways under thier rated limit.

Crossfire Usually holds its own quite well at 2ohms, so the 3 ohm load should be no trouble.

Some amps that are capable of exceding their ohm rating are commonly:

Cadence

Soundstream

Harrison Labs

Synopsis

MTX

Rockford Fosgate (power series)

Mmats

Memphis

Zapco

Phoenix Gold

PPI

etc, etc, etc,

Take it easy,

-zane

About all the amps can drop down another notch to 4 ohms to 2ohms without any problem so I'm sure you'll be fine just don't try to do lower or bridge it when it doesn't say bridgeable

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.