ATTN: Pioneer HU owners with BBE processing!

Participant count
  • Participant list

frankiebones
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NYC
sorry for the dramatic headline, but just to get a general idea, what level of BBE do u guys use. i go with (+2) and was sold on my 7800 bc of how much i loved the way the BBE sounded with the piss poor alpine 9856 (2 band EQ, bass, treble, nuff said).

also, i sometimes will use the bitmatrix equalizer (BMX) when playing MP3s. oddly enough, when playing an actual CD and then go to turn the BMX off (i keep it at +1), it really makes little diff.

i usually have other people listen with me on specific songs, obviously it will vary with diff set ups but when u turn it above 0, what specifically makes you turn it back down.

the only way i could describe it is that it sounds like there's too much sh*t going on at once with BBE at +3 or +4

I leave the BBE setting at +2 but constantly alternat the BMX/COMP setting between comp 1 and sometimes BMX 2. BTW, BMX stands fot Bit Media Xbander.

I leave mine set at 0 if it's on at all. I only use it with mp3 cds, and my actual cd's I turn it off. I just think it sounds better myself, I use the equalizer and time alignment to make it sound as good as possible.

I leave mine set at 0 if it's on at all. I only use it with mp3 cds, and my actual cd's I turn it off. I just think it sounds better myself, I use the equalizer and time alignment to make it sound as good as possible.
i cant get the time alignment to sound good at all. this is the first HU i have ever had with the T.E. feature, so i set it to sedan mode, then measured the distance to each tweeter from my left ear to the left tweet, then from my right ear to the right tweet, and when i turn it on it just doesnt sound right...

just to give u an idea of how much BBE impacts preamp voltage, with the volume at 54/62, and using a 50Hz test tone at 0 dB ref i got the following results:

BBE Processing Test

BBE off: .94

BBE -4: 1.43

BBE -3: 1.59

BBE -2: 1.77

BBE -1: 1.98

BBE 0: 2.21

BBE +1: 2.47

BBE +2: 2.75

BBE +3: 3.09

BBE +4: 3.46

these results are from a thread i did a few months ago where i just went nuts with the DMM and although i took a rather unscientific approach (i.e., only using 50Hz, 60Hz and 1kHz test tones), they are accurate.

with the volume at 42 and the same test tone, this is how the comp/bmx settings affected preamp voltage.

COMP/BMX OFF: 1.86 V.

COMP 1: 1.57 v.

COMP 2: 1.86 v.

BMX 1: 1.86 V.

BMX 2: 1.78 V.

Do you have it set on front left and TA2 ?Get someone else to measure, its more accurate
what do u mean? i had it so the measurements i was putting in were for my seat (front left) by what do u mean by "TA2"?

also, based on how drastic the changes to preamp voltage were using BBE (more than double with it off compared with it at only 0), when using a DMM to set gains, i should use a test tone with the BBE on, correct?

Sub bass is non directional, mid bass is

TA2 was on the old units, i guess the new ones might not have it. I had an 860mp, i traded it a day later for an alpine 9855 because i hated the display and the knobs.

also, based on how drastic the changes to preamp voltage were using BBE (more than double with it off compared with it at only 0), when using a DMM to set gains, i should use a test tone with the BBE on, correct?
If you use BBE, yes, you need to have it on when setting the gains.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.