attn:NeedDirections Re:RE MX12

plushDJ
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I know I could have done this in a pm, but I thought other people might like to see a bit of creativity.

So NeedDirections, remember that MX I bought off you? You said there was a rattling in the cone and the impedance was going nuts on you. So, I decided to do a bit of surgery to the sub. Seeing as it's a dual cone sub, I removed the top cone to see what's rattling inside. It turns out it was a little white cup that I'm guessing was glued to the bottom of the top cone to add a bit of strength to it. After all that, I got Chad (aka 02parkave) to send me a couple dustcaps, I threw them on, and now the sub works great!! The impedance is reading a steady 1.6 per coil and I couldn't be happier. On to the pics.....

MX with top cone removed, just a look inside

DSCF6713.jpg

white mystery cup

DSCF6716.jpg

some pics of the new MX12

DSCF6725.jpg

DSCF6727.jpg

DSCF6723.jpg

I wanna be able to put a coat of something on the cone just to cover up that old glue. I'm just not too sure what:wow: And as long as it works, I can always mount it inverted lol

replacement from re only 23 bucks, never seen that white thing in my sub ????
Not what I was told, I was told I had to get a total recone for...I think it was $160

btw thanks Dragnix for that link, I'll def buy some of that!

Not what I was told, I was told I had to get a total recone for...I think it was $160

btw thanks Dragnix for that link, I'll def buy some of that!

call the tech dept not the main number the main number is retards and told me u cant buy baskets by themselves they sell them i can show u an invoice for one

your getting some lazy ***** giving u false responses to **** they dont know

u might try pm teampsi he seems to be able to get all things RE

The cup thing certainly makes sense. How was it sitting when you peeled the dust cover off - the way you are holding it in your hand? Was it glued to the main cone?

I'm not too sure Mark. When I opened it up, it was actually sideways. That's why the one side was cracked. I figured **** it, I'm gonna have to get it open eventually, so I went at it with a hammer lol. Because of the obvious glue on the top of the cup (and there was a ring on the bottom of the dust cover, or top cone, whatever it's called) I'm guessing it was glued to the bottom of the cone/cover.

So for future reference, if I was to use the 'wet look' product would I coat the whole cone before I glued the dustcap on or would I glue the dustcap, and then apply it on the remaining visible cone?

Ah, Ok. Smart actually, and obviously necessary.

Yes, definitely coat the entire cone before adding the dustcap. This is based on the fact that you have the right adhesive to stick to the coating you are putting on of course. The black rubber-based glue will stick to practically anything...

Best,

Mark

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

plushDJ

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
plushDJ
Red Deer, AB
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date