ATTN: Mechanics - A/C problem

Decipha
10+ year member

www.EFI Dyno Tuning.com
I replaced the compressor on my beretta and i can't get the clutch to kick on. I have all the connectors plugged in and everything is connected like it should be, no blown fuses, or anything. Does any one have any clue as to what the problem may be? The A/C worked perfectly find before i replaced the compressor, i know i hooked it back up the way i took it out, and im pretty sure the compressor isin't messed up... Any one have ANY ideas???

HELP!!!!!!!!!! all this heat doesn't feel good

if the system is low on freon it will not allow the compressor to kick on as it will be damaged. in a car that has low freon it will usually kick on and off fast as the high pressure sid gets enough freon in it to kick back on. when ther is not enough it will shut off till you recharge the system.

if it's a 134a system you can recharge it yourself for about $6 a can (2 or 3 cans) and an a/c pressure gauge for about $20.

If it's R12 I wouldn't touch it, and a shop wil probably charge you $150 or so. I think cans of R12 are about $40.

I replaced the compressor on my beretta and i can't get the clutch to kick on. I have all the connectors plugged in and everything is connected like it should be, no blown fuses, or anything. Does any one have any clue as to what the problem may be? The A/C worked perfectly find before i replaced the compressor, i know i hooked it back up the way i took it out, and im pretty sure the compressor isin't messed up... Any one have ANY ideas???

HELP!!!!!!!!!! all this heat doesn't feel good
This sentence just struck me funny wondering why you're fixing something that's not broke //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif but I'll assume that the compressor went bad and that's why it got replaced.

n2audio? If you know where to buy R12 for $40 I know some mechanics that would love to speak with you unless you're talking about 8oz. cans of it. Last I knew it was going for between $60 and $80/pound.

Decipha? Where'd you get the compressor? If it was an AutoZone or Pep Boys purchase it is possible that it was bad before you bought it. They don't sell "new" compressors anymore - every unit they have is remanufactured - even the lifetime warranty ones.

Barring that and assuming that you have recharged the system I'd look at the low pressure switch first. If it's bad it won't allow the compressor clutch to engage whether it's good and fully charged or not.

as stated before clutch won't kick in if the system is low on freon. you need to purge the system before you refill it thought to get all the air out of it.

never heard of it not cutting on because of low freon, my girl has a 86 mazda, compressor cuts on, Just bought the freon and compressor oil yesterday. Now its blowing cold air out..

If its not engaging i would say chech your wiring, try running a pos wire from somewhere else to the + on the compressor wire, if you can find it..

If all else fails, lol, take it to auto zone and bug them about it.

did you put refridgerant in your system since you replaced the compressor?
X2....The compressors have a low pressure cut off which won't allow them to turn without refridgerant. No refridgerant-no oil = VERY BAD. If the system isn't charged the comp. won't work. If it does work without a charge something's wrong. It's always the little and obvious things you overlook.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.