attention jl haters

It's a shame that I can't back up my statement, because I only saved Ramos's post and not Mark's originals...and now all traces of that are surely gone from there.

and that's what i don't get about this. you, of all people, whom i've known online for 5 years, would never make a statement you couldn't back up. an yet, here is one. and this "track record" only applies to one situation, one group of people, whom in some people's mind, got what they deserved. it wasn't only Mark playing with posts, and SSA went above and beyond in the sponsorship early on.

to be honest, i can see you haven't changed much, your reply was very above board. but i think SSA deserves consideration for their products, which have proven themselves.

speaking of which, the ICON, in standard form, is meant for ported boxes. the modified one (part of that above and beyond sponsorship) was meant fo IB, IIRC. the w6 does indeed excel sealed, and performs well ported. jl stuff does tend to shine in larger boxes, ported wise. sq wise, even sealed, the ICON holds it's own against the w6. but sq is subjective, isn't it?

Which is exactly why I think it'd be a step backward from the W6v2 - which does do very well sealed.
but the OP didn't necessarly state that he wanted to go sealed. however, i'll agree that while he already has the w6, and it is indeed a solid woofer, he should try other setups, including a sealed one before moving on to another woofer. 750 wrms and that sub, in the proper enclosure, in that truck, should be more then enough for anyone save the most devote, pure bassheads.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

back to the original post. OP, the reason why people brought up the looks of your install, is that while the drivers are extremely important, the install, and enclosure, and direction of the subs are equally or more important. I would say try to get some thing worked out with your install first, and then move on to something different.

Recommendations:

Idmax-works great sealed or ported. I love mine, and it is the best sub i have ever used

Dayton HO-get two tens, and put them in a box about the same size as your one 12" ported box

good luck

Come to think of it, I don't believe he mentioned that little tidbit. Sadly, until the OP identifies what he doesn't like from the 12w6v2 and has an idea of what "sound" he is looking for, he probably won't be satisfied with an "upgrade".
I don't know about anyone else here, but I've built as many as FIVE enclosures before I completely abandoned a subwoofer. After enclosure #5 I concluded that the 2006 model 12" Solo-baric L5 was NOT for me. Come to think if it, enclosure #3 was the enclosure that had me liking my 10w3v2s after two sealed attempts ****** major ass.
my bad. i didnt see the post asking what amp i have. its a Kicker 08ZX750.1

back to the original post. OP, the reason why people brought up the looks of your install, is that while the drivers are extremely important, the install, and enclosure, and direction of the subs are equally or more important. I would say try to get some thing worked out with your install first, and then move on to something different.
Recommendations:

Idmax-works great sealed or ported. I love mine, and it is the best sub i have ever used

Dayton HO-get two tens, and put them in a box about the same size as your one 12" ported box

good luck
so you dont think that box is big enough for a w6?

ok so i did some seaching on a frontier website and found someone who made a custom box. he said it costed him $400 for someone to make. this is exactly what the inside of mine looks like....here are some pics

Box2.jpg

Box3.jpg

Box1.jpg

in the pic above you can see the lump behind the box where my sub sits on

P1020148.jpg

P1020146.jpg

here is the link if you want to see more...

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f24/getting-custom-box-12w6-34317/

i know for a fact i could not make a box like that

That is a pretty nice box. I'd taper the width towards the top so that 2 people could sit in the backseat with their legs in the typical truck-backseat-slightly-spread position without their knees hitting it.

I'd say screw the passengers and tell them to either grin and bear it or walk! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

They do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Which is exactly why I think it'd be a step backward from the W6v2 - which does do very well sealed.

The Icon that I did hear didn't stack up to the W6v2, IMO, and that wasn't stock, it had been modified to deal with the very low-Qts install.

It's a shame that I can't back up my statement, because I only saved Ramos's post and not Mark's originals...and now all traces of that are surely gone from there.

The ironic thing is that I never really cared what happened to Dave, Ramos or Webster on the forum - I wasn't directly involved, wasn't my issue. What made me leave the site was Mark's antics afterwards. As a forum administrator, you're supposedly professional enough to not play with people's accounts without cause.

Although, the "come back when you've won a world title" comment is a lot funnier after...2 world titles //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

****...people are still talking about this?? First of all I didn't EVER win a world title with an ICON...my last show with an ICON was 2008 ESN. I have moved on...no big deal to me anymore...I just wish that when Team SSA had the national points leader and highest scorer in ModEx class there was alittle interest from the forum...Ramos and I were some of the original members there(ssa)...from what I have heard it has kinda gone down hill....

I am just glad that this past year was good for our amaetuer class guy(Andrew Mitchell)who won a world title this year and Chris Lacombe who won 3rd place in a very very hard ModEx class....I moved up to Master class and won my 2nd world title in 2 years in 2 differant classes...and that's all I have to say about that...

don't know how you got your world title without the icon dave..your car must be special lol as a matter of fact dave, if anyone needs the sub that I paid for, just give it to them for free . just collecting dust at the garage so no need to keep it. for some odd reason, mrray thinks that our feelings and butts are hurt with this ssa thing lol **** ssa, their little fans that want to talk **** without any knowledge of what happened and their icon. i'm sure that this will be deleted, but who cares.

what track record is that? seriously, back up your statement. of course, we all know where this will go, lol. and we know it's ********, your little click got butthurt and threw a temper tantrum. SSA went far above what most sponsors do for their people, and i know more then a few highly sponsored people with way more world titles then dave.

you guys really need to get over yourselves. all of you are intelligent, knowledgeable people, of that there is no doubt. but immaturity can be tossed in there as well bro. and that is what kills me.

btw, SSA more then holds their own against anyone. Aaron and Mark will back their products, and their products are definitely some of the better ones out there. take jim's opinion with a grain of salt. there is some history there that is personal. that little click mentioned above did very well, very well, running a custom built for them ICON driver. hell, take mine with a grain of salt. i think the ICON is a great ported box driver, but is underachieving sealed. and that's the only SSA driver i listened to. but it is strong as hell and will take a beating, and it sounds great doing it.

wow, i actually posted here again...lol

and if one must know, i'm not currently running crap. don't have a system in any vehicle, work is way more important. i spend more time writing citations for systems now then working on them....ironic, isn't it? hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif
and that's what i don't get about this. you, of all people, whom i've known online for 5 years, would never make a statement you couldn't back up. an yet, here is one. and this "track record" only applies to one situation, one group of people, whom in some people's mind, got what they deserved. it wasn't only Mark playing with posts, and SSA went above and beyond in the sponsorship early on.
to be honest, i can see you haven't changed much, your reply was very above board. but i think SSA deserves consideration for their products, which have proven themselves.

speaking of which, the ICON, in standard form, is meant for ported boxes. the modified one (part of that above and beyond sponsorship) was meant fo IB, IIRC. the w6 does indeed excel sealed, and performs well ported. jl stuff does tend to shine in larger boxes, ported wise. sq wise, even sealed, the ICON holds it's own against the w6. but sq is subjective, isn't it?

but the OP didn't necessarly state that he wanted to go sealed. however, i'll agree that while he already has the w6, and it is indeed a solid woofer, he should try other setups, including a sealed one before moving on to another woofer. 750 wrms and that sub, in the proper enclosure, in that truck, should be more then enough for anyone save the most devote, pure bassheads.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

There are always at least two sides to every story. Believe what you choose to believe. I haven't lost any sleep over it. Nor do I expect anyone else too. I wouldn't expect any response I made to stay around too long anyway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

se la vi` //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and if one must know, i'm not currently running crap. don't have a system in any vehicle, work is way more important. i spend more time writing citations for systems now then working on them....ironic, isn't it? hehe

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

you used to have a system, and now writing citations for systems makes you a chump in my book. i hope someone that used to be a cop doesnt stop to help you one day when you need it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

morse147

10+ year member
morse147
san diego ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from