attention jl haters

morse147
10+ year member

so before i start gettin **** for having a jl sub and spending to much money on it i got it used at a shop that was a in store demo model for cheap.

i have a jl 12w6v2. i got it for $175 bucks. its in a ported 1.5cubic foot box in my crew cab 07 frontier with a seat folded up...

basically i want to upgrade but i dont wanna spend the money for a w7.i hear people saying on here you can get better than a w7 for less money so i want to know what is better. a link to the sub would help also. i searched a little but i have some other questions as well.

please note i only have the space for one sub and would like to make it work with my ported box i already have. if you think a sealed box would be better cuz of airspace let me know...

my amp puts out 750 watts rms so it would be nice if i can still use that but its not 100% necessarry.

im looking at spending in the $500 range for the sub alone.

im 18 and dont do any comps or anything like that. sound quality is important to me. ive had a alpine type s and a jlw3 so far.

i dont know much about which subs are better and all that so please dont yell at me too much lol

also, witch way should the sub be facing in my truck, ive heard lots of different answers but i heard it depends on the type on vehicle. again, i have a 2007 nissan crew cab frontier, ill go get a pic of it now.

downsized_0928091717.jpg

heres the pic...there is a lump in my floor so thats why its crooked. should i keep it faced like that or firing up?

A $500 sub is going to take WAY more than 750rms bub. You could get a brand new BTL for that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif That beast would laugh at 750w

Jl audio subs take a beating around here and some people have legitimate points, but bashing jl because of price isn't really correct.

Yes he can spen 500 on a w7 that takes 750 watts to get loud and good doing it. You say he can get a btl which would be like what 300? In the long run the btl setup is going to be more expensive than the jl. He's gonna need more power which means bigger amp then bigger wire which is also more expensive and then come the electrical upgrades alt,batts,more install accessories etc.

In my experience between the w6 and w7 the w7 is worth the extra cash but its all depending on what you want out of the system. I say if you can get a good deal on the w7 go ahead i did and i got 3 just because they get loud and dont need nearly as many watts to get loud.

Not everyone wants to have to run 2k+ watts to get loud.

Jl audio subs take a beating around here and some people have legitimate points, but bashing jl because of price isn't really correct.
Yes he can spen 500 on a w7 that takes 750 watts to get loud and good doing it. You say he can get a btl which would be like what 300? In the long run the btl setup is going to be more expensive than the jl. He's gonna need more power which means bigger amp then bigger wire which is also more expensive and then come the electrical upgrades alt,batts,more install accessories etc.

In my experience between the w6 and w7 the w7 is worth the extra cash but its all depending on what you want out of the system. I say if you can get a good deal on the w7 go ahead i did and i got 3 just because they get loud and dont need nearly as many watts to get loud.

BTL on 2kw > W7 on 750w

if its not the price, why to people bash jl? im just curios. so do u think i should just keep the w6 or get the w7 if i dont wanna change amps?\

also, obviously the w7 is louder but how would a 10w7 compare to a 12w6? blow it outta the water?

OP even said SQ was his priority.

He doesnt need/want a BTL

Thats pretty misleading to a guy who doesnt know to much.

The W7 will get louder but wont sound as good IMO get another 12w6 sell your amp and get a bigger amp. two 12w6's will be louder than a w7
wtf, you just lectured me on suggestions because the OP wants SQ and your suggesting he gets a second sub to get louder?

Do you know the definition of SQ?

Sadly, the OP found out something that I learned the hard way about JL Audio. Basically, you need to take their recommended specs and toss them out the window. I'd be willing to bet that the OP would be much happier with that same sub in a 3.4 cubic feet net enclosure tuned to 21 Hz. Sadly, that enclosure size is impracticable for most applications.

Sadly, the OP found out something that I learned the hard way about JL Audio. Basically, you need to take their recommended specs and toss them out the window. I'd be willing to bet that the OP would be much happier with that same sub in a 3.4 cubic feet net enclosure tuned to 21 Hz. Sadly, that enclosure size is impracticable for most applications.
Holy low-tuning, Batman! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

morse147

10+ year member
morse147
san diego ca
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from