asking for some help

Participant count
  • Participant list

dj2606
10+ year member

Hey first post, looking forward to learning from everyone here. So here's the thing, I'm looking to set up a decent sound system in a 2004 cavalier. I know it's not a show car or anything, however I have taken good care of it (original owner). Seeing how I drive around quite a bit I wanted to enjoy the ride more. As a dj/producer I'm kinda **** about sound and the quality. After listening to music looking for new tracks to play and making my own on good studio speakers, I find it annoying getting into my car and listening to these stock speakers.

Currently I have purchased and installed a Kicker 10" vented L3 (400 rms) with a kicker 500.5dx monoblock amp. Man does this thing hit, the bass pushes down on my chest when listening to tracks with big 808 kicks. Next I purchased JBL P662 shallow mount 2 way 6.5's (55 rms). I'm going to replace the current 4x6's in my front door panels with a little homemade bracket. These should be arriving this coming week and will probably install the following weekend.

So here are my questions.

After I install the 6.5's I will be purchasing JBL 6x9 3 way speakers for the rear (100 rms) I will be getting another amp to power them. Currently looking into Lanzar VB411 1200 watt (150x 4 rms) to push them.

How would you set the xover's?

the 6.5 are 55hz to 23khz

6x9 45hz to 21khz

sub 24hz to 100hz

thinking the front 6.5 70hz hp, 6x9 70hz lp, and I currently have the sub set to 50hz. Not sure if overlap in freq is an issue when setting the xover with the sub compared to the fronts. If it is I would like to keep my sub set the way it is, should I adjust the front/rears differently?

Another quick question do I set the amp gain for my front and rears like I did for the sub with a dmm?

thank you, let me know if I forgot any vital info to best answer these questions

I would go 60-80 hp front

6x9 - 400 hp (I think you miss wrote 70 lp) I was told that optimal for rear speakers is bandpass 400hz-4khz, but that amp only lets you do high pass or low pass filtering not bandpass.

sub - 80-100 lp

Is that a VBP411 that you are looking to go with?

What head unit are you going with?

Yes set your gains with a dmm.

I would set all the gains for the cabin speakers to 55w max for all the speakers and fine tune them so that the 6x9 have a balanced volume.

Thank you for the response.

Yes it's the Lanzar VBP411 sorry for the typo. So I don't need this secondary amp to be 150 rms per channel if I only need 55 rms wattage. What would be a good option which will include the bandpass. I read matching xovers to avoid overlap which is why I assumed to adjust lp.

also should I find another option for 6x9 in the rear since I will only be using 55 watts of them......?

I'm thinking of this for a HU, because it have 3 preouts (front, rear, sub) and has bluetooth. Not to mention the price isn't outrageous. I currently have a JVC and have had it for 4 years with no issues.

JVC KD-R730BT

man I was really hoping to keep the sub at 50-60hz, I really like how it's hitting now. However, I much rather give up 20hz to have a balanced and great sounding system.

Your setup should ultimately be tailored to your ears when you tune it. I wouldn't look at it as gaining or loosing 20hz, if you prefer a low pass filter of 50-60 go for it. It depends on your subs and your box, kickers may do better with those settings thanmy image dynamics.

For ease of tuning get a deck that can do frequency filtering, you can leave the amp full pass and have the deck handle the xovers.

You may want to consider speakers with relatively the same rms power made by the same manufacturer in the same line.

I'm at the airport ATM and I'll get back 2 you more later on.

Are you still running the stock HU?

I ask because if you are, you will need a special wiring kit for the new HU to keep all of the warning chimes and to have remote power on for the HU...

Thank you for the response.
Yes it's the Lanzar VBP411 sorry for the typo. So I don't need this secondary amp to be 150 rms per channel if I only need 55 rms wattage. What would be a good option which will include the bandpass. I read matching xovers to avoid overlap which is why I assumed to adjust lp.

also should I find another option for 6x9 in the rear since I will only be using 55 watts of them......?

I'm thinking of this for a HU, because it have 3 preouts (front, rear, sub) and has bluetooth. Not to mention the price isn't outrageous. I currently have a JVC and have had it for 4 years with no issues.

JVC KD-R730BT

man I was really hoping to keep the sub at 50-60hz, I really like how it's hitting now. However, I much rather give up 20hz to have a balanced and great sounding system.
HUH? I think you might be confused with the x-over function. 60-80 hz is good for the subs, 70hz for the highs. I think what you are doing is attenuating a common bump found in the 50-70hz region inherent to car audio. 50hz/low and 70hz high is fine, but that is a pretty wide gap, especially if using a steep slope. If you truly want a balanced and great sounding system, a good aftermarket 1/2 or 1/3 octave EQ will do magnificent wonders for a good system tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your setup should ultimately be tailored to your ears when you tune it. I wouldn't look at it as gaining or loosing 20hz, if you prefer a low pass filter of 50-60 go for it. It depends on your subs and your box, kickers may do better with those settings thanmy image dynamics.
For ease of tuning get a deck that can do frequency filtering, you can leave the amp full pass and have the deck handle the xovers.

You may want to consider speakers with relatively the same rms power made by the same manufacturer in the same line.

I'm at the airport ATM and I'll get back 2 you more later on.
Do you mind posting a link of a freq filtering HU with 3 preouts and bluetooth (man that sounds like it's going to be expensive). If I purchased one do I really need a secondary amp other than to amplify power to the 4 speakers?

I agree, after thinking on it last night, going with the JBL 6x9 in the rear with 100rms seemed to be a waste. What if I switch to these 3 way JBL 6.5 for the rear (Amazon.com: JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics).

How much is your budget for this?
Not really on a budget, but I'm not lookin to spend an outrageous amount of money (it's just a 2004 cavalier. I don't need tv's in the car, navigation screens, etc. just looking to setup a really decent sounding system.

Are you still running the stock HU?
I ask because if you are, you will need a special wiring kit for the new HU to keep all of the warning chimes and to have remote power on for the HU...
I am already using an aftermarket HU. But will be getting a new one, because the one I have is a bit outdated. Like to have 3 preouts and bluetooth.

HUH? I think you might be confused with the x-over function. 60-80 hz is good for the subs, 70hz for the highs. I think what you are doing is attenuating a common bump found in the 50-70hz region inherent to car audio. 50hz/low and 70hz high is fine, but that is a pretty wide gap, especially if using a steep slope. If you truly want a balanced and great sounding system, a good aftermarket 1/2 or 1/4 octave EQ will do magnificent wonders for a good system tune.
Yeah I was under the assumption not to have big overlap when adjusting xovers.

can you post a link to of an example so I can look into what it has to benefit my system.

The pioneer deh-80prs is around $350.00-390.00 and well worth the money. Many of the people on this forum are using it and can assist you. From what I hear it has very good sound quality and a lot of features. It can do the bandpass crossovers and has all the features of the JVC and more.

Here is a refurbished one for a very good price.

PIONEER DEH-80PRS CD RECEIVER BUILT IN BLUETOOTH IPOD CONTROL DEH80PRS B | eBay

It's been my opinion that the Head Unit is the most important component of your system from a "garbage in garbage out" prospective. I'll admit that JVC you are looking at is pretty good for an entry level player, but I believe you would be much happier with an 80prs if it doesn't break the bank.

Yes you will want external amplification it makes a world of difference.

If you get a HU with a (8 band or greater) graphic equalizer (like the 80prs) you will not need to be concerned about overlap on crossovers. If a frequency is too high you can adjust it, or you can quickly change the crossover point.

Hope this helps,

Joe

cool thanks, that looks awesome. I was reading your review just a sec ago in the review forum section lol.

What do you think of switching to the jbl 3 way 6.5s for the rear?

Also I'm looking for a new amp as i do not need 150rms x 4 more like 55 x 4.

just out of curiosity what do you think of the jvc i posted earlier in the thread.

again thank you for all your help

cool thanks, that looks awesome. I was reading your review just a sec ago in the review forum section lol.
What do you think of switching to the jbl 3 way 6.5s for the rear?

Also I'm looking for a new amp as i do not need 150rms x 4 more like 55 x 4.

just out of curiosity what do you think of the jvc i posted earlier in the thread.

again thank you for all your help
That review is for the 80prs' big brother lol. Its a nice deck overall but the price isn't reasonable unless you buy used...

I am not familiar with jbl speakers. I have been doing a lot of research lately and I can tell you a few brands I would recommend.

Does your car have separate tweeter and mid/bass speaker mounts? If it does, it would be advisable to get component speakers.

Some brands to look at, but a bit pricy.

Hybrid audio technologies

Focal (PAIR OF FOCAL PS165 6-1/2" / 6-3/4" 2WAY COMPONENT SPEAKER SYSTEM BRAND NEW | eBay and FOCAL PC 690 6" x 9" PERFORMANCE SERIES 2-WAY COAXIAL CAR AUDIO SPEAKERS PAIR | eBay)

Hertz (but there are a lot fake Hertz floating around right now so make sure if you go with Hertz the product is genuine)

It all depends on how wild you want to go, and will boil down to your budget.

However, if you have heard and liked the jbl's I would go with them.

I had a jbl amp and really enjoyed it.

Honestly I would look for a nice used amp in the classifies here and save some $$ on it. A good call on getting a 4 way amp is (100wx4) Jbl, sundown, or eclipse (http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/555525-fs-eclipse-xa4000-4chan-amp.html).

The pioneer deh-80prs is around $350.00-390.00 and well worth the money. Many of the people on this forum are using it and can assist you. From what I hear it has very good sound quality and a lot of features. It can do the bandpass crossovers and has all the features of the JVC and more.
Here is a refurbished one for a very good price.

PIONEER DEH-80PRS CD RECEIVER BUILT IN BLUETOOTH IPOD CONTROL DEH80PRS B | eBay

It's been my opinion that the Head Unit is the most important component of your system from a "garbage in garbage out" prospective. I'll admit that JVC you are looking at is pretty good for an entry level player, but I believe you would be much happier with an 80prs if it doesn't break the bank.

Yes you will want external amplification it makes a world of difference.

If you get a HU with a (8 band or greater) graphic equalizer (like the 80prs) you will not need to be concerned about overlap on crossovers. If a frequency is too high you can adjust it, or you can quickly change the crossover point.

Hope this helps,

Joe
This^ would be the best start with. A v/g active x-over section, a v/g eq section, decent pre-out voltage and many other options that bought individually would cost you 100's of $ more. You can get more by buying individual components, but it will cost a lot more and consume more space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.