Ascendant audio mayhem question

under powered and clipped wont blow every speaker... only if the coil cant take the added thermal stresss caused by less cooling of motor while the sub does not complete its linear stroke during a square wave in proprtion to the added power of said sqaure wave. You can only take a square wave so far, so take a sub that can take a ton of thermal abuse and run it on a smaller amp with a full on square wave and it could potentially run like that forever. Misleading statement!
True. The only issue that clipping presents a speaker is added thermal stress. Some argue that their is a mechancial disadvantage from the clipped signal too but this is untrue in bass frequencies for a variety of reasons and I'm on my cell so.I won't elaborate. I'd even go so far as to say that Mild clipping on a subwoofer is rarely dangerous if thr user knows what he is doing.

under powered and clipped wont blow every speaker... only if the coil cant take the added thermal stresss caused by less cooling of motor while the sub does not complete its linear stroke during a square wave in proprtion to the added power of said sqaure wave. You can only take a square wave so far, so take a sub that can take a ton of thermal abuse and run it on a smaller amp with a full on square wave and it could potentially run like that forever. Misleading statement!
True. The only issue that clipping presents a speaker is added thermal stress. Some argue that their is a mechancial disadvantage from the clipped signal too but this is untrue in bass frequencies for a variety of reasons and I'm on my cell so.I won't elaborate. I'd even go so far as to say that Mild clipping on a subwoofer is rarely dangerous if thr user knows what he is doing.

No, the misleading statement is the one that stretches the boundaries of reason. If it were common for people to ask "Can I send dirty 5 watt power to a 500 watt sub 24 hours a day?" then I would concede. But that's not what we're discussing. We're discussing real world scenarios with real amplifiers and real speakers.
If OP was wondering if a 5 watt square wave would destroy a 500 watt inductor, I would think he'd have posed that question on a physics or electronics forum and not a car audio forum. ;-)
Fair enough, I still think a subtle rephrase is in order:p: I just like to bring up and hear the more technical side of things. It is, how we learn more in depth anyhow. A 5 watt wave to a 500 watt inductor is still an extreme example and you can get away with quite a lot more than that also. Not that im saying its ever advisable to be running square waves on purpose hah

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.