are pioneer ts-d1720 worth the money?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'd say they are worth it. I loved mine. Plenty of other people have also loved them. They will take TONS of power with ease, and have the best midbass I have ever heard in that price range. Some say the tweeters are bright, but people say that about every component set so I tend to ignore it. In their price range, they are definitely some good speakers. I can give you a more detailed review of the pros and cons of the set if you'd like. I had 2 sets and ran them for a good while in a couple different installs.

You could also look into the Boston Acoustics SC60's for a little more cash. Midbass isn't as strong as the Pioneers, but still present. Midrange performance is a little better. But, once again, people say the tweets are "bright".

I was just wanting a set that had good clarity and detail, I know people have different tastes if a tweeter is harsh or not so that doesn't really matter to me.

Here's a vid of teamclearlylouder's SQ vehicle that uses the mids from the set and some JL XR tweets active on a Rockford T800-4 so thats about 50wrms to each mid at 4 ohms.

[video=youtube;MsWWW6j-E4k]

Here's a vid of my setup when I had the Pioneer set. I was running them in a 3 way. The mid was running from 300hz down to 63hz and the tweeters were running from about 7 or 8khz up. I was giving the mids about 150wrms each and the tweeters about 25wrms each with a Tang Band 4inch midrange in between the two. But, it gives you an idea of the midbass and tweeter detail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHDv31u_i4

The good thing about the tweeters from this set is that they blend very well with virtually any mid and they can play pretty low as well if you ever decide to run active. The only con I can think of with the tweets is that they need to be on axis to really give you good top end detail unless you're willing to do some EQ work up top. When, I say this, I'm being extremely critical and just really nitpicking. So don't think that they arent detailed tweeters. I think they're wonderful for the price.

Like mentioned earlier, the mids will pound out some good midbass in a good install and take a ton of power. I gave them 150wrms each. I know a guy who gave his 225wrms each. Both of our sets of mids still work to this day with never an issue. I've never run them active to see how high they can play though.

My main con for the set would be the peak around the crossover point 2.5khz-2.8khz. But, that can become pretty common in any passive comps especially in this price range. It can be fixed with some nifty EQ skills and, in my case, flipping the phase of the tweeters, though. Thats the only con I can really think of for this set. Like I said, I loved mine and apparently others do too (I remember reading a review on them in car audio and electronics magazine IIRC, that said they could easily be sold for more than they are online).Too, I sold one set locally before I could even get them listed up here and once I listed the other set online I had so much interest in my inbox, it was ridiculous. Like you said, though, its all personal preference with speakers and it doesn't hurt to go listen to some speakers, but I'd definitely say give the Pioneers a shot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.