Are Kickers Overated?

ask your friend what he thinks are better then kicker...if he says JL then kick him in the nuts cause hes just a plain ol queer, whose only answer to anything car audio related starts and ends with "JL"
so Jl isn't better than kicker?

Please tell me this isn't a serious question...
sarcazm is hard to convey in a forum

edit: on the real... if it was for SPL, i'd take some solo x's, if it were for SQ it would be one of my last choices, but JL wouldn't be one of my first choices. and you couldn't pay me to run any square sub for my daily system.

It is, cot, and that's why I wanted to make sure whether or not you were really asking that prior to responding to it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

yeah well i know there are people out there that still think i hold JL at #1... oddly only because i run it... there are alot of stereotypes associated with JL owners... i think it's funny

it's like this... if i REALY wanted to listen to some good sounding music, i'd probly go get some BOSE head phones, jl for me wouldn't be a great option for competing in much of anything (spl or sq) but as far as a good daily system to just listen and enjoy music to, it's a really good choice, there are plenty of SQ setups i've heard that i wouldn't like to listen to every day, most people would rather have a slightly bass-heavy system than a perfectly balanced one

I have no beef with JL Audio when looking at it purely from a product quality standpoint.

They inarguably make solid gear and that's the end of that.

But when you factor in their somewhat extreme retail pricing structure and the general attitude of their hardcore fans who will tell you (normally very loudly) that JL Audio is the Be All, End All of aftermarket car audio that people begin to get a bad taste in their mouth for anything associated with JL.

Look at the average retail price of a 12w7.

OMG!

Now have a look around online (whether that be factory-direct from somewhere, eBay, Classifieds on a forum such as this, etc) and see what that same amount of money could potentially buy you and do a comparison.

Would I rather spend a grand on a single 12w7 or would I rather take that grand and buy a pair of RL-s 12s BNIB direct from SoundSplinter that so long as they were powered adequately would soundly trounce the Dub7 all day long?

I'll take the pair of RL-s 12s, tyvm.

Again - JL makes a solid product without a doubt but their average fanbase is more than a bit annoying in their claims of JL ruling all.

don't they? i'm sure that dd, fi and re can all claim the same thing. and i'm not saying that kicker is the end all be all of subwoofers. but when someone asks a question like the OP, and someone gets on here and says kicker is crap, then that someone needs their brain flushed.
yes, kicker is mainstreme. yes, kicker can be had at best buy. but kicker has dominated the spl scene for many years. kicker has been a very major player in the street scene for more then that. they've always been about quality and quality output and will more then hold their own against any internet brand. now tell me i'm wrong and prove it.

and yes, even if it means i lose, i'll take kicker when **** hits the fan. they've proven themselves enough to earn that. i know one hardcore guy that won't switch from solo xs for that exact reason. kicker has supported him way to much to warrant him switching. and he's competitve. it's never a sub that lets him down. eagle picher did, memphis 4kws did, hifonics maxximus did, his enclosures did, and hell, even his alpine did. but never the subs.

that's why i'll stand behind my words.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif
Whoa there dude, calm down. lol
First off, Im not dissing Kicker, Ive been a fan of Kicker since I owned a pair of original Kicker 'Comps' (and later round solos) back when they were 'the ****'. (showing my age here lol) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

But my point was, the way you make it sound, solo-x would be dominating the SPL lanes. You say they are, but they aren't. MT's sort of were for a cpl years, now honestly Im not sure who is, seems to be a toss up. Pioneer is strong no doubt, just to name one of many. Yes, solo-x is a **** fine driver (and the ONLY square sub Id ever consider owning), but no its not the dominate driver you make it sound. If Im reading more into your words than intended, my apologies.

Whoa there dude, calm down. lol
First off, Im not dissing Kicker, Ive been a fan of Kicker since I owned a pair of original Kicker 'Comps' (and later round solos) back when they were 'the ****'. (showing my age here lol) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

But my point was, the way you make it sound, solo-x would be dominating the SPL lanes. You say they are, but they aren't. MT's sort of were for a cpl years, now honestly Im not sure who is, seems to be a toss up. Pioneer is strong no doubt, just to name one of many. Yes, solo-x is a **** fine driver (and the ONLY square sub Id ever consider owning), but no its not the dominate driver you make it sound. If Im reading more into your words than intended, my apologies.
lol, i am calm. and iMHO, solo xs are indeed still the dominate driver in the lanes. pioneer only has one of the scotts really, as did the mts. and neither of them dominate with any kind of regularity, save the big ford of scott's.

no, your really not reading that much more into my statements. i am standing behind kicker that strongly, but becasue of experience with them, and because of personal friends, competitiors, and their experience with them. james herren, kevin koller, greg mccool, jsut to name the big three. there is two more jimmy's that i don't know their last name who do well in usaci. all use either solo x or L7.

again, i know kicker isn't the end all be all. but it does chap my ass (and it's not you, i've enjoyed this mature conversation) when someone makes a blanket comment about kicker because it's mainstreme. but that's just me, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

lol, i am calm. and iMHO, solo xs are indeed still the dominate driver in the lanes. pioneer only has one of the scotts really, as did the mts. and neither of them dominate with any kind of regularity, save the big ford of scott's.
no, your really not reading that much more into my statements. i am standing behind kicker that strongly, but becasue of experience with them, and because of personal friends, competitiors, and their experience with them. james herren, kevin koller, greg mccool, jsut to name the big three. there is two more jimmy's that i don't know their last name who do well in usaci. all use either solo x or L7.

again, i know kicker isn't the end all be all. but it does chap my ass (and it's not you, i've enjoyed this mature conversation) when someone makes a blanket comment about kicker because it's mainstreme. but that's just me, lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif
Yeah we always argue so well, dont we? lmao Always enjoy having these discussions with you too mrray. As Ive said before, even with differences of opinions, I always respect what you have to say.
If I weren't oso lazy Id go look up some champions and record holders and see how many run solo-x's. But... Im lazy. lol I'll just leave it at even though I dont believe solo's are 'dominate' in the lanes, they would certainly be on my short list of choices were I building an SPL rig. Impressive drivers, I'll give you that.

I just wish Kicker would start making some high quality round subs again. Tracey swears they are going to, but Ive yet to see any. And no I dont consider CVR's/CVX's as good enough... I know stillwater can do better. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Cheers mrray. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah we always argue so well, dont we? lmao Always enjoy having these discussions with you too mrray. As Ive said before, even with differences of opinions, I always respect what you have to say.
If I weren't oso lazy Id go look up some champions and record holders and see how many run solo-x's. But... Im lazy. lol I'll just leave it at even though I dont believe solo's are 'dominate' in the lanes, they would certainly be on my short list of choices were I building an SPL rig. Impressive drivers, I'll give you that.

I just wish Kicker would start making some high quality round subs again. Tracey swears they are going to, but Ive yet to see any. And no I dont consider CVR's/CVX's as good enough... I know stillwater can do better. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Cheers mrray. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
i love the cvxs. why aren't they adequate? or are you just looking for less output oriented and more like the solos of old? i miss those things.

as to the records, (i'm lazy as well) i'm sure kicker as their share, at least in the US, lol. maybe one of these youthful, internet savvy people will do the research for us?

and the respect is mutual. not too often, especially here, one can have this kind of disagreement without a flamefest. aw well, unto the next one, eh? lol.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.