applying deadener

Participant count
  • Participant list

tacovic
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ok i live in minnesota and from now until march its probably not gonna get above 30 degrees. i am in the process of installing all my equipment and applying raamat is something i NEED to do. i have a 06 civic and the trunk and the rear deck rattles like a mother. my question is, is it ok to lay down the deadener in the cold weather. i dont have a heat gun. il justt clean, apply, and roll. or am i going to have to wait till spring. i would do it in my garage so it wouldnt be as cold as outside.

also if anyone near the twin cities would want to help me i could throw some cash there way since i have never layed deadener before

Shoot my experience with the dynamite is you don't even have to clean the surface. The stuff sticks to anything. But I still clean before installing with alcohol and install and yes it is okay to install in the dead of winter. Here is a tip while cleaning and getting ready to install the stuff. Set the detaining material in the sun it will be more sticky and a little easier to work with on curves and all. Get yourself a roller to roll the stuff on. Hope this helps

if you do it in the winter and you don't have a garage that you can temp heat for a day

at least bring the deadener into the house and bring one sheet out at a time that way it stays flexible and otherwise it will be too stiff to apply in all the tight spots

RAAMmat is typically sticky and gooey as all get out. I've never installed it in the winter, but I have some in my garage right now (currently 17*F) and I have little doubt it will need a heat gun.

As suggested, bring it in the house and put it under next to a heater or a lamp to warm it up before hand.

No prep for the surface is typically needed unless it's visibly dirty or has had some chemicals on it in the past. Never hurts to wipe it off, but don't waste your time cleaning every square inch.

Keep in mind that the rattles from your rear deck are probably coming from two pieces of plastic vibrating against each other. An intelligent use of foam like weather stripping could solve that problem whereas all the RAAMmat you can buy will not.

The mat goes on the top and bottom of the rear deck sheet metal and possibly the back of the plastic panels. Foam goes between surfaces to mechanically isolate them from one another.

I could help you, but I charge $500/hr for deadening. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I kid. Let us know if you have any problems and don't let the cold scare you! I've done lots of car audio install work here in the cold for too long to remember.

where are you located??
St Louis Park.

Actually, I take back what I said about warming it up. I'd say RAAMmat will work better in the cold than in the heat. I checked the tackyness of it and it's very sticky and actually the integrity of the butyl is better than when it's very warm. It's a mess to work with in the heat.

good helpe here but i would just like to ask a question:

someone was telling me that it matters which way you apply it??? i dont understand that more than it could be having the same effect as polarized sunglasses. let me know if it matters

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.