Anyone interested in a Zed Mikro IV 2.0?

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
I got into contact with Stephen trying to find a second and third mikro for my builds. Obviously he didn't have any available, but when I asked him about doing a limited run of them again this was his response:

Dear Matt,

It is not economical to extrude the aluminium heat sink material for less than 300 pcs.

The die cost is about $2,000. So this must be amortized over the 300 pcs run.

The construction of the MIKRO series was not the best and so this would be improved drastically.

I would upgrade to 100w x 4 at 4 ohm and add in some nicer crossover features.

Estimated cost from Zed would be about $225.00 per amplifier.

BR

Stephen

Anyone want to jump on board and try to get this done? I love my mikro and will keep looking for thing 2 and thing 3 to add to my collection, but getting the chance to have a limited production run 4ch amp that puts out good power, sounds great, and is tiny AF is something I don't want to miss.

Matt

If I read that correctly he said he will not do anything less than 300 amps
@ 225 per amp thats $67,500 you have to raise to get him to do the limited run
This guy does math.

Unfortunately this isn't going to happen. We need at least 300 units basically pre-ordered for it to be a thing. Between here and the other places I posted and asked around we have a total of 22 amps wanted. 3 of which I personally want.

Biggest issue here is if you bought them from Stephen at 225 a pop (or say even a little less) what's the cost to a dealer who will sell them retail then what's retail end up being? Or if you do have 60 grand to just sit on, do you want to deal with the hassle of flogging 300 amps and dealing with knuckleheads breaking them via stupidity and bad-mouthing you and charging back their credit cards.

Obviously Stephen is getting too old to deal with that kind of nonsense or he'd have made a run to sell direct himself.

The average consumer is why we can't have nice things.

Biggest issue here is if you bought them from Stephen at 225 a pop (or say even a little less) what's the cost to a dealer who will sell them retail then what's retail end up being? Or if you do have 60 grand to just sit on, do you want to deal with the hassle of flogging 300 amps and dealing with knuckleheads breaking them via stupidity and bad-mouthing you and charging back their credit cards.

Obviously Stephen is getting too old to deal with that kind of nonsense or he'd have made a run to sell direct himself.

The average consumer is why we can't have nice things.

Yep, this isn't even a dealer deal. Stephen would be doing a direct to pre-orders kind of sale. Hell, if I win the lottery this week I'll just make the run myself and be done with it. Finding a good sounding amp that puts out power in this small of a package is hard. I'd rather pay the "premium" and stick with something I know works than **** off with other amps that might let me down.

Yep, this isn't even a dealer deal. Stephen would be doing a direct to pre-orders kind of sale. Hell, if I win the lottery this week I'll just make the run myself and be done with it. Finding a good sounding amp that puts out power in this small of a package is hard. I'd rather pay the "premium" and stick with something I know works than **** off with other amps that might let me down.
I think he just doesn't really care anymore. He gets paid plenty to just do designs (not just for car audio) and he doesn't have to worry about all the other hassle of manufacturing and dealing with customers. He told me a while ago that he wasn't putting his latest and greatest ideas in his own brand amps because he just can't sell enough units to amortize what they're worth and he will just sit on them until someone (who can sell more product) will pay him what he feels they're worth. I know he has some very good ideas and I've had some hints on what he has been tinkering with, so hopefully someone with deep pockets can put some of that stuff to market before Stephen dies or retires.

heat sinks are one of the more expensive parts of an amp. i used to run the mikro monoblocks with the preamps removed for my mids. great amps but we stolen when my house was broken into a few years back. i think him and a couple other old timers are sitting back and collecting on licensing, idk for sure but thats what id be doing rather anyways.

its the same reason you often cant get just a few subs or amps from overseas manufacturers though i have found when theyre doing a run for someone else they may throw a couple your way or they just happen to have some laying around they dont mind charging double the moq cost for

itd really only make sense for an established company to order a run of 300 from him one that wouldnt risk much with having 70k tied up for an unknown amount of time plus theres no way anyone would sell them at cost either.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...