Anyone heard 2 10w6v3s vs 2 12w3v3? Also some SQ and amp questions.. THANKS

I can accept that. underground probably isnt the proper word, I guess you call it "pro or competition" equipment, I just meant that most of those brands weren't available in most car audio shops (like jl or alpine) or even online places like sonicelectronicx.
Like you said that means nothing about the quality..

As for the underseat sealed setup.. Ive done it before with the 2 10P3shallows (wish I could remember what ampage I pushed them) and they had a really nice range, hit every note, nice and punchy, just didnt get very loud..

I'm not trying to win SQ competitions here.. I just cant stand some of the boomy sloppy systems ive heard where so many notes are missed. Since i'm not willing to remove the back seat 7in depth and downfire is pretty much what im working with..

I figured the w6v3s at 600rms would be a nice step-up from the P3Ss, without loosing any accuracy. Is that wrong?
I honestly can't answer about the JLs. I don't sell them, have never used them and haven't heard too many setups running them. But I can tell you that the box is 95% of the SQ of a loudspeaker. And if you doubt that, pull the drivers out of a Bose home theater sub. They're the cheapest 5" woofers one could ever imagine buying and they out perform a lot of 10" home theater subs. Especially sealed ones.

If I were building a true SQ system in that truck, I'd find a beefy azzed 8 or two, put them in box that was tuned to 30 ish and I'd run with it. And the only thing that would change whether I used one or two would be how they modeled in the air space I had to work with. Since I'd need a large box for a flat curve... that might force me down to one sub. But... one high quality, low compliance sub will outperform an equivalent sealed setup hands down, every time and everywhere except on the RTA where you can see the group delay that you can't hear.

the W6s arent that bad at all, gets moderately loud, pretty accurate and not too picky on enclosures, if you can get it for under 175 like new or new, go for it. IDQ subs are nice but output would most likely be equivalent to JLs depending on enclosure.

Not sure if you have enough room but a beefy 8 or 10 inch sub in a transmission wave line enclosure can do some crazy work meanwhile having amazing bandwidth, quality and efficiency.

Sealed boxes have a really tough time with output. If your old p3s we in an ideal ported box, you'd have the same sound quality, if not better, and loads of output.

Ya unfortunately I'm not sure an underseat ported box can be made for my truck.. Never seen one at least. It's usually 2 divided sealed boxes due to a hump in the middlemodfmthe floor..

My plan now I think is honestly to run with the IDQ 12s. You guys convinced me look at that..

I do still think for SQ reasons I wanna run them at 4ohms. I found a nice alpine m that's 1200w @ 2 and 4 ohms. For only 500$ new.

For only $100 more than the sundown I kinda like the idea of running at 4ohms. Am I crazy?

Ya so IDQ 12s in sealed enclosures around .75-.95 ft?? Amp them around 600w RMS each and I should have what I'm looking for??

Thanks for allllll the help guys.

Ya unfortunately I'm not sure an underseat ported box can be made for my truck.. Never seen one at least. It's usually 2 divided sealed boxes due to a hump in the middlemodfmthe floor..

My plan now I think is honestly to run with the IDQ 12s. You guys convinced me look at that..

I do still think for SQ reasons I wanna run them at 4ohms. I found a nice alpine m that's 1200w @ 2 and 4 ohms. For only 500$ new.

For only $100 more than the sundown I kinda like the idea of running at 4ohms. Am I crazy?

Ya so IDQ 12s in sealed enclosures around .75-.95 ft?? Amp them around 600w RMS each and I should have what I'm looking for??

dbl post

Your not going to hear the difference between ohm loads on subwoofers. Go listen to a subwoofer playing by itself, they really aren't musical, there just isn't enough detail to hear a difference. SQ comes down how good the rest of your setup is and how well you can get the sub to integrate into it. As long as your frequency response is good dont' sweat the small stuff, that's why BBELJEFE is trying to steer you towards a smaller sub in a ported enclosure. To get a nice smooth low end out of the driver.

When I first got into car audio my friend had 2 IDQ 15's in small sealed boxes out of a trunk. I built a setup for a friend with 1 10 adire audio Koda ported in 1.25 at 25hz. The 15's obviously got MUCH louder, but SQ was no contest. Even when I turned his setup down some to half way blend the IDQ's just didnt' sound that amazing. In the right install I'm sure they can, but the whole cram a subwoofer into a small sealed box and you'll get SQ has never worked IME. Yes they can sound "tight and punchy", and if that's all SQ is to you then go ahead. If you want low end extension and effortless bass without the common 40hz boom, don't use small sealed boxes. The single 10 could still shake the mirror a bit on a kickdrum and was punchy when it needed to be, but dropped really low for a single 10. I had very flat output down to 25hz in a cadillac of all things, so a good sized car. Probably one of the best sub setup I ever heard for pure musical listening.

Hey guys. So I think I'm about ready to buy 2 IDQ 12s and power them to 1200-1500w

I was looking at the sundown 1200d but it's back ordered till may unless I wanna pay $125 more than I can find it on ssa.

So I was looking at Incriminator and soundqued amps.

The soundqubed seem nice but are almost too affordable. The Incriminator being $100 or so more. Any opinions on Incriminator vs soundqued?

Thanks

The Soundqubed amps are excellent. Don't let the lower price fool you. They're good quality amplifiers. The Incriminator is also an excellent amp but if it's me, I save the 100 bucks. I've read through this thread and it seems like you're looking for maximum output with good sound, correct? Running any of the choices (Including the IDQ's) sealed up isn't going to give you a whole lot of output and I believe you're going to be left wondering why you got rid of the p3 shallows. I'd run a set of 10's ported over sealed 12's any day of the week. You're going to get more output and be a lot more satisfied. And if you truly are trying to put in a SQ system it takes a lot of time, effort, experience and cash. Time and effort is going to be spent deadening everything and cash of course for component speakers, amps, etc. Subwoofers, believe it or not, have very little to actually do with a SQ setup. Most experienced guys can take a mediocre sub and make it fit into their system and sound like a champ.

I had some Infinity Kappa Coaxial's in my doors, JBL 6 x 9's in the back and a set of Focal Polyglass 13's in the trunk (which was the only thing I did deaden). I thought is sounded good and it did to me. Till I went to a couple competitions and found out what true SQ is. Lol!

Anyway, in the end you're going to do what you want. But throwing some decent door speakers in and a couple subs under your seats isn't going to exactly be SQ. Although, it might sound good enough for you.

Ya I just don't think I have the space for ported 10s or even 8s under my seat, even with the seat lift I installed. I've never seen a dual sub ported under seat box at least.

Defiantly going to talk to the guy at my shop and see what he can do with my added space from the seat lift (7in depth) scab 08 f150

I just don't wanna take the entire back seat out

As for the sq build. I'm not trying to win comps, I just wanted everyone to know my goal isn't loud. My goal is accuracy and the subs keeping up with tight bass notes and not sounding "sloppy" or boomy

I plan to run focal polyglass 6.5 components in the fronts (might switch out tweeter), already have some decent focal 5x7s for the back. Amp them at 125w each w a 125.4 amp and deaden the hell outta all my doors. F150 doors are especially hollow and vibrate. I know that HAS to be done.

Then the 2 IDQ 12s amped at 1200 off the soundqubed 1200d in a custom under seat box that is 1ft cu each, basically exactly the space ID calls for for a sealed enclosure.

Did I miss something or am I getting close? Still looking toward 12s...

Still possibly considering one beefy 8 but only if the guy in the shop has a really good box design in might for it.

Get two epic 8's and port them. Run em with a crescendo bc2k at 2 ohms. Best Lil Sq setup I've owned thus far. You will definitely thank me if you go that route. Have Brian at sms hook up a box at 1.5 cubes net. Will be under $1000. Take the family out for pizza with your savings.

Lol you want a good sub for a small sealed box id run 4 sd2 8s from sundown in the same box. This would give you plenty of output and keep power requirement low.

Having more volume than needed and more power than needed is essential to sq installs. A good processor and a good box goes a long way as well.

You want high quality amps look at mmats and zed audio. My .02 but my next system will be two kappa perfect 10s on a zed minotaur with hertz mille components on a zed draconia and a rockford 360.3 tuning it all.

A custom box or infinite baffle will be used as well.

Thanks for all the help

Ended up going with a custom box to house 3 10in JL TW3s, powered at 400w each with a JL 1200HD stable at 2.7omh.

I know, I know after all that still JL?

We'll I saw a similar setup in action and loved it, then found a killer deal online for JL stuff so I think it was the way to go.

Still undecided on front components. Was gonna go with the Focal flax 165 F or FX (100$ more $599) but I found some JL evolution C5s for $300 and am tempted. I've also heard the focals can be too bright....

Any opinions?

Thanks guys

So looks like the decisions have been made. Went and heard the focal fxs vs the JL C5s and was pretty impressed by both but the focals definitely shined thru. I think I'll need to tame the highs on the focal tweeters but after that they're gonna be exactly what I'm looking for. Even got to hear them in the managers car in an in-car setup. CLEAR.

Here's the final run down .

HU- kenwood excelon dnx890hd

Fronts- focal ps 165 fx 6.5 comps

Backs-focal mid range 5x7s

Pushed by a SKAR 125.4 (got great deal)

Dynamat extreme all around (4 doors and back wall of F150)

Custom under seat down firing box holding 3 10in JL tw3s

Pushed to 400w each by a JL 1200HD amp. Stable at 2.7ohm

Big 3 upgrade

Optima yellow top

Thanks for all the help guys. Got almost 50% off all the JL stuff across the board so I bit. I also wasn't aware I could fit 3 10s under the seat as I've never seen a triple sub pre-built box for sale for an ext cab f150, but once I found that out, the jls seemed even more applicable (middle sub has to be extremely shallow to allow for hump in center of floor).

Might get some pics up eventually if you guys even care to see a JL install :p

I'm thinking it will provide what I'm looking for, we will see.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.