Anyone heard 2 10w6v3s vs 2 12w3v3? Also some SQ and amp questions.. THANKS

F150Bass

colorado
Hey everyone!

New around this forum, post on some F150 forums sometimes, but need to know some detailed audio questions. So I figured this would be a better place to ask.. as its been an amazingly helpful source for browsing.

I'm basically trying to build a really high SQ system to listen to mainly electronic, dubstep-ish, tight technical bass music, with small amounts of deeper hiphop mixed in.. Centered around a Kenwood dnx890HD with the 5volt preamp outs.

I'm pretty sure Ive got it figured out how to fit either 2 10w6v3s or 2 12w3v3s in a downfiring box under the seat of my 2008 F150 Scab, as long as I use a 2.5in seat lift..

First obvious question.. Im really looking for SQ over SPL, so 2 10w6vs or 2 12w3v3s?? I thinking the 2 10w6s will be a little louder and deeper without sacrificing any SQ correct? I cannot fit the 12w6s in my space. But I guess were coming back to the old question 12w3v3 vs 10w6v3??

Im planning on housing them in a custom built underseat sealed box.

My old system was 2 rockford fosgate 10in P3Shallows in the same design but shallower underseat box (non-lifted seat) and although I loved their SQ, i would like a significant increase in power...

Lastly since theyre 4om subs and I'm looking to power them both right at 500-600w RMS EACH its looking like Im gonna need an amp pushing 1200wRMS @ 4om

Since money isnt too much on an issue i was looking at the JL amps that push the same wattage at ANY ohm load.. Anyone have experience with these? Either the splash 1200/1v3 (for $1200 f*#k!!) or the HD1200/1 ($1000)

Why would one pay the extra $200 for the splash? What about powering each sub with its own amp that handles 5-600w rmp at 4ohm?

Ive heard that a low quality amp will hurt SQ, as much as low quality subs.. with that in mind i'm open to suggestions to other amps that might suit my needs..

Eventually going to run some 6.5 components (maybe JL) in the fronts and some focal 5x7s i already have in the backs and amp them all around 100w each.. but was just gonna bi-amp.

Hoping to have a really high quality SQ system that when I want to crank it, I can really feel it in my chest..

Thanks for the long read with all the questions!!!

R

i would never buy a JL product at full retail. They are not the best, they are good products yes, but price performance ratio is pretty sub-par. if you can get a cheap deal, do the w6s and put em in a good enclosure.

Also when it comes to subwoofer amps, sound quality difference between each amp is not really noticeable. Just whatever amp is most efficient and puts out the cleanest power will will have the best sound quality. there are plenty of amps that can kick JL's @ss easily with half the price. You dont need power at 4 ohms. you can find a quality amp that does rated at 2 ohms and get D2 subs wire em in parallel. Should save you on lot of $$$ and wont affect sound quality at all and it will still be very efficient.

Also that feeling in your chest, your not gonna get it lol, even if you do, Its gonna last for a week tops. Your body gets used to it and it fades. Eventually you'll need more and more cone area and power to achieve that feeling again and again.

If your Truly considering an SQ build. Look into going with a quality 3 way active setup in front and ditch the rears. Deaden your doors and make custom flush mount fiberglass enclosures for your door speakers. You'll need an active capable headunit and a sound processor for the cleanest sound possible and the most tuning options to get the sound you want.

ya price isnt too much of an issue... but I dont like getting ripped off either.

It mostly comes down to wanting to own a brand that, yes maybe overpriced, but I know i can trust. Its pretty hard to find a bad review of a w3 or w6 unless someones talking about price.

Also I'm running with some serious mounting depth issues. Its gonna be tiiight to fit the w6s but I think I can do it. I'm working with 6-7/8in I know of and i think I can get it to a full 7in if the right person builds the box.

Jl recommends a .55 sealed box.. I feel like thats a bit small.. gonna go closer to .75-.9 gross

They dont make 10w6s in 2ohm as far as i can tell just 4. So I guess I just wire them in parallel and that would be 2ohms on the amp? Still finally wrapping my head around the VC and Ohm load thing but i think i'm getting it.

thanks I plan to get everything professionally installed and built.. but i like to have my head wrapped around things as best I can...

ya I guess I get it now... I can just wire the 2 DVC 4ohm subs in parallel and get any amp that pushes 1200rms at 2ohm, not 4. That's WAY cheaper amps. Might still sick with JL, but am looking elsewhere.

Guess I get it now..?

2 10w6s give you the option of 1ohm 4ohm and 16ohm. Finding 1200w at 4ohm is really expensive the zed kronos is one that will trump the jls though. Otherwise a good mono that pushes 1500w at 1ohm would be better. Tune it back to 1200w and youll never have to worry about a dirty signal unless your headunit is clippinf.

sq is synonymous with lots of install time and effort. Money cant buy sq. Yes it can buy the time for someone to put the effort in for you but sq comes from the install and the techniques used.

the slash 1200/1 is the exact same as the slash 1000/1 which was underrated and easily made 1300w. This is why jl remaned the amp made it black and changed the rating. It didnt cost them much to make the change and they make 200 more an amp. Major ripoff imo

I wont touch any jl gear at new prices

Ya I dont really wanna run at 1 ohm...

I found a nice alpine PDX-M12 that pushes 1200W @ 4ohm.. What you guys think? only 550$

Ya i think i'm gonna steer away from JLs amps. But the w6v3 is really what i think i need for my application and SQ wants.

so 2 10w6v2 sealed on a PDX-M12 at 1200w @ 4ohm works right? and 4ohm is nice and stable?

Thanks

Ya I dont really wanna run at 1 ohm...
I found a nice alpine PDX-M12 that pushes 1200W @ 4ohm.. What you guys think? only 550$

Ya i think i'm gonna steer away from JLs amps. But the w6v3 is really what i think i need for my application and SQ wants.

so 2 10w6v2 sealed on a PDX-M12 at 1200w @ 4ohm works right? and 4ohm is nice and stable?

Thanks
the alpine amp is decent for 4 ohm power

using a sealed gives you better transient response, flat and accurate bass but dont expect any chest pounding feeling from that enclosure. It wont be as loud as you think, keep volume expectations low, SQ and chest pounding do not go hand in hand.

the alpine amp is decent for 4 ohm power
using a sealed gives you better transient response, flat and accurate bass but dont expect any chest pounding feeling from that enclosure. It wont be as loud as you think, keep volume expectations low, SQ and chest pounding do not go hand in hand.
Ya i dont want it boomy but im expecting a decent increase in thump and volume compared by my old rockford P3shallow 10s. am i wrong?

W6's are deep subs if I remember from the days. How the heck are you going to fit those in and under seat box?
Its gonna be tight.. They are 6.78in mounting depth, Ive found a box online (at supercrewsound) that is 6-7/8 thin deep (I know when converted thats a TAD too small) Details below.

2" clearance under the box

Air Space = .95 cubic foot Per Sub

Mounting Depth = 6.25" (Optional 6 7/8" available)

Mounting Depth based on 6" diameter magnet

It requires a seat lift. DONT plan on buying a online from them, just the seat lift. THEN get someone respectable to build me a nice 7in deep sealed box.. If an online company can make a box 6-7/8in im sure a custom box builder can get me to 7in even if i have to slam the seat to get it down... right??

I have seen 2 10w6s in a downfiring box w a lift like I'm speaking of, but in a 4 door (s-crew) F150. Mine is the 1.5 door (S-cab). But If im not mistaken the seats are the same....

Heres the only picture ive found of underseat w6s and it only shows the box. But this is ALOT like what i want to do

Since I barely ever have anyone ride back their I'm not too worried about the seat lift. Just dont wanna remove the seat all together for looks reasons.

Anyone have good or bad experience with alpine amps?? or a suggestoin for another good 1200wRMS 4Ohm amp?

THANKS guys

Why do you want to run at 4ohm so much? You'd save quite a bit of money just wiring to 1ohm sounds no different and then you can use the saved money on another aspect of the project.. Just my .02

I just dont really like the idea of running my system for 6-10hrs at a time @ 1 ohm... Is it really no difference? Ive heard 1 ohm produces alot of heat?

How would you best power 2 10w6v3s?

I see a Hifonics Brutus BRZ1700.1D for $200 that runs

RMS Power @ 4 ohms

600 watts x 1 channels

RMS Power @ 2 ohms

1200 watts x 1 channels

RMS Power @ 1 ohm

1700 watts x 1 channels

Do I wanna trust Hifonics for SQ tho?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.