Anyone familiar with 2007 Buick Lucerne, sub placement and other questions... (long)

Participant count
  • Participant list

flea77
10+ year member

So I currently have one 12" in a sealed box in the trunk. Problem is, I need all the room I can get my hands on (I am a traveling tech, have tools, parts, and even a folding ladder in the trunk, litterally every inch counts and yes, I have to maintain the spare tire, heh), in addition, I am likely to have the back seat and floorboards full of equipment at any given time. So I have thought about trying to find alternate places to place the sub(s). Note, this is a daily driver, hidden install, SQ not SPL.

I can't go under the front seats, no room. Back seats are out as well because that is where the battery is and all the room not allocated to the battery and fusebox is taken up by seat foam and metal supports. I have thought about taking the rear seat back out, cutting some holes in the metal backing behind it for say a pair of 8" subs to fire through the seat, but not sure I want to hurt that structure. I have also thought about cutting out some of the plastic rear deck, reinforcing it with some wood, then placing a pair of 8s, a single 10 or even a single 12 there firing up towards the back glass (but then there is the back deck cover to contend with).

I also thought about a smaller box (currently I have a 12" MTX Thunder 4000 in a prefab box measuring about 14x14x16 inches with the 120x1 amp and Epicenter mounted on top), maybe dropping down to a 10" Polk or Dayton Reference in a smaller box but then I would have to mount the amp etc on the back or somewhere else. If I am reading the specs correctly (Polk MM series) the 10" needs approximately 60% of the size of the 12" which would be a nice improvement on how much room I had in the trunk (about 14x14x16 for the 12", 11x11x13 for the 10"). I could even mount the electronics on the area behind the rear seat on the inside.

As for speakers, for example the Polk 10" has a better sensitivity and lower freq than the MTX I currently have so in theory it should hit slightly harder and at least as low, I can't help but think it would also be tighter and cleaner (especially since the MTX has been in use since 2001 or so and sounds a bit sloppy).

As for amps, I currently have an old KAC-529S which their specs say is 120x1@4 RMS, 5hz-50khz, 100db SNR, .8% THD with an 80hz LPF. Since this is a 2001 amp, would buying something newer or more powerful really make any difference? I am thinking no. Although I would REALLY like one with a remote bass level control.

Front speakers are factory tweeters in the front supports on the left and right of the windshield, Polk MM651s in the doors and Polk MM691s in the rear deck.

Headunit is currently factory AM/FM/CD but looking at the Pioneer AVICX920.

Keep in mind that I want the car to continue to look completely factory. and I am trying to keep as much free space as possible. I listen to a wide array of music, rock, pop, classical, dance, but no rap or country. I am looking for tight, strong(not loud) bass with the capability to hit fairly low notes. Think about the bass drum in rock, classical or taiko (or more specifically, "Another Day In Paradise" by Phil Collins). SQ is king as long as prices remain in the lower three digit range. I do not care if anyone outside the vehicle ever hears anything, I only want to impress myself. Suggestions? Thoughts? Ideas?

Allan

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.