Anyone ever had problems with aftermarket rims

definitely use lock tight, its good stuff

and get yourself an adjustable torque wrench, most likely you're gonna want to go with at least 110 ft/lbs if not more.

and get yourself an adjustable torque wrench, most likely you're gonna want to go with at least 110 ft/lbs if not more.
Isn't LocTite intended for use on bolts that wouldn't potentially need to be unfastened/refastened very often? At least ~ less often than your average rim gets removed from and remounted on a vehicle, I would think...

x2 regarding what DYTBOI stated.

If the lugnuts are constantly loosening themselves then there's a problem somewhere as that's not normal behavior.

I check mine every couple of weeks just because it's a good idea but I haven't ever had issues with them coming loose on their own after any period of normal driving. The set of rims Gossamer is rolling on currently is the second set of aftermarkets that I've had and neither set has been problamatic thus far *knock on wood*

110? i would double check before you go cranking down on your lugs. 110 would snap the studs right off my car.

Well my uncle ended up heading over to my house and helping my mom out. He tightend the **** outta of em and my moms gonna take it to his work(tire kingdom) and hes gonna hit them with an impact socket. Pretty sure im gonna lock tight the **** out of em. THe truck is only gonna be driven for about a month for the next 5 months so hopefully that works. I jsut purchased the truck and hopefully the guy just roatated them or something and jsut didnt tighten them enough or what not. Thank you for you help.

110 is a NO NO unless your drivin a carrera GT or somethin, they have one lug thats at somethin like 270lbs of pressure and requires a special tool that comes with the car. I rotate my own wheels on my truck and I torque my lugs at 80 ft. lbs. Anything more will warp my rotors. It all depends on what kind of car, check the owners manual and use an adjustable torque wrench. Too tight = problems, and too loose = problems. OEM!!!

1. you dont even torque the rear axel to 110 on a motor bike, and thats like a 1.5inch nut.

2. you generally wont get loctite undone without heating it with a blow torch first, I VERY strongly advise against that.

Putting Loctite on lugnuts is just stupid IMO. Either she was not torquing them down enough, useing spacers or there is an unknown problem that should be fixed. Instead of having your uncle hit it with an impact wrench he needs to get a torque wrench and torque them down to 85 or so foot pounds.

I personlay first torque down my wheels to 85 foot pounds, then again one more to to 100 foot pounds (95-100 is what is suggested for my car).

The problem has been fixed. THe guy I bought the truck of jsut didnt have them tight at all. After an air socket they are now tight as hell. Hopefully they dont come loose again. THis is just a small setback ive allready bought 2 tires and a rim in the last week for this thing.

Putting Loctite on lugnuts is just stupid IMO. Either she was not torquing them down enough, useing spacers or there is an unknown problem that should be fixed. Instead of having your uncle hit it with an impact wrench he needs to get a torque wrench and torque them down to 85 or so foot pounds.
I personlay first torque down my wheels to 85 foot pounds, then again one more to to 100 foot pounds (95-100 is what is suggested for my car).
100 has gotta be too tight, you'll snap them off after a few times I'd say.

my car only reccomends like *goes off to check* 76 foot pounds...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.