Anybody using Lithium Titanate batteries for car audio?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Interesting, are we certain these are Toshiba? If they're 3-5 years old used how do we know how they've been used? Seems to me that for that money I can buy brand new A123 cells from China, get batteries that'll definitely last 3 years 2-3000 cycles, save weight and have a higher C rating.... all without having to deal with the oddball 2.4V cells.

We havent tried these yet. Weve tried tenergy and headway. Someone out here did just make a large bank tho. I'll let you know how it holds. I believe he has it on 2 dc 5k
Plenty of people use those cells for various projects but the C rating isn't very good for our purposes if you're not way over-sizing.

If nobody knows somebody who knows somebody who can get legit Toshiba cells I think I'm going to go out on a limb and test some Chinese LTO cells and see what happens. I figure worst case scenario I can flip them on eBay.... not like car audio is the only thing people build their own battery cells for these days... in fact I think between electric bikes, cars, and various meme energy storage applications, we use a very small fraction.

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2015/02/f19/batteryC-Max3817.pdf

If that cell is 3V-4.2V they are not LTO which are 2.4 nominal 2.8 to 2.9 max. The rest of the performance data doesn't look great for car audio applications either. Do you know anybody actually using these Ford batteries? Is there perhaps a newer model that uses the LTO?

We were oversizing double
The cells they use in the retail LiFePO4 batteries that are sold for car audio have very high C rating. Those red headway cells seem OK but I think you'd need to quadruple the amp hour rating you'd get on a car audio branded bank to really match how well they hold up to big power demands. Most of those cells are just not designed to charge or discharge quickly. It seems the LTO really shines in it's fast recharge ability and very high C rating on charging.

Both those cells seem pretty popular among the electric bike crowd and for """green""" power storage though.

Our 40ah headways are good for about 5k with minimal drop with decent alt. The tenergy needed to be 80ah for that performance

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.