Any stetsom or taramps dealers on here ?

Participant count
  • Participant list
You guys want to PM me HV prices?
I do not recommend HV for daily use... or really any use. You already have 4 alts, with HV you would sacrifice that and be stuck with plugging up to a power supply and making sure you turn it off when the batteries are fully charged. It's very hard on the batteries to run HV as you're 100% on battery power with no power generation, just reserves. You're constantly cycling the batteries instead of relying on power generation from the alts to charge continuously.

It's not any beneficial from an efficiency standpoint either. We calculated up the efficiency of Senchez's HV setup and it's around 60-70% efficient.

I do not recommend HV for daily use... or really any use. You already have 4 alts, with HV you would sacrifice that and be stuck with plugging up to a power supply and making sure you turn it off when the batteries are fully charged. It's very hard on the batteries to run HV as you're 100% on battery power with no power generation, just reserves. You're constantly cycling the batteries instead of relying on power generation from the alts to charge continuously.

It's not any beneficial from an efficiency standpoint either. We calculated up the efficiency of Senchez's HV setup and it's around 60-70% efficient.
I haven't posted the thread yet. I'm buying my uncle's GMC Savana 3500 van and doing a monster 4th order. It's HUGE.

The build is still a long way off, but I'm budgeting right now

2016-09-10_09_51_24__zpsf98kaiq0.jpg

I haven't posted the thread yet. I'm buying my uncle's GMC Savana 3500 van and doing a monster 4th order. It's HUGE.
The build is still a long way off, but I'm budgeting right now

2016-09-10_09_51_24__zpsf98kaiq0.jpg
Using HV greatly increases the cost of your batteries, charger, fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle from the weight of batteries. The only place you save is on alternators and amps, but it's not worth it IMO. The cost of batteries is further increased by cycling the batteries constantly, they will last a much shorter time than you're accustomed to if you use them with a HV build. HV is also dangerous to work with and the amps are finicky. It's not a little shock like when you get shocked with 12v, it can literally kill you if you get shocked bad enough

It's a really ineffective method that is popular in Brazil because they can't use alternators to power their big trailer systems with a ton of PA on them. They would be using battery power either way, so they use it to their advantage to cheapen up the amps by eliminating the power supply side since input voltage is already high. In the USA, there is no reason to run HV right now unless you just want to say you're running HV. As I said the biggest disadvantage is the lack of charging from your alts

Running 20 batteries in parallel at 12v is just as effective as running 20 batteries in series at 240v, plus you can have a HO alt or two at 12v.

Using HV greatly increases the cost of your batteries, charger, fuel and wear and tear on the vehicle from the weight of batteries. The only place you save is on alternators and amps, but it's not worth it IMO. The cost of batteries is further increased by cycling the batteries constantly, they will last a much shorter time than you're accustomed to if you use them with a HV build. HV is also dangerous to work with and the amps are finicky. It's not a little shock like when you get shocked with 12v, it can literally kill you if you get shocked bad enough
It's a really ineffective method that is popular in Brazil because they can't use alternators to power their big trailer systems with a ton of PA on them. They would be using battery power either way, so they use it to their advantage to cheapen up the amps by eliminating the power supply side since input voltage is already high. In the USA, there is no reason to run HV right now unless you just want to say you're running HV. As I said the biggest disadvantage is the lack of charging from your alts

Running 20 batteries in parallel at 12v is just as effective as running 20 batteries in series at 240v, plus you can have a HO alt or two at 12v.
Ok, well the van has a ton of room in it, a bigger engine than my truck, and a heavier transmission with heavier duty suspension because it's a 3500.

It sucks to have a 10,000 pound daily driver, lol.

Problem is, it's got the 6.0 and almost no room in the engine bay for alternators.

OP, sorry to threadjack

Ok, well the van has a ton of room in it, a bigger engine than my truck, and a heavier transmission with heavier duty suspension because it's a 3500.
It sucks to have a 10,000 pound daily driver, lol.

Problem is, it's got the 6.0 and almost no room in the engine bay for alternators.

OP, sorry to threadjack
The 6.0 has a readily available quad bracket if it's the same as the trucks.

Even with one alt, you come out much ahead using 12v vs HV.

The 6.0 has a readily available quad bracket if it's the same as the trucks.
Even with one alt, you come out much ahead using 12v vs HV.
Yeah it's the same motor, but it's a van.. The engine is partially between the front seats. The bay is cramped

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.