any metal heads?

nick46and2
10+ year member

hey been shopping around for some subs for my monte and got a question...i listen to mainly metal, so my bass is going to be that kick drum (double bass)and im curious to know what other metal heads are using for their setup. i dont want the large deep rocking the house boom i want an accurate, clean, fast slam for my drumlines. i guess the thing im hearing the most is to stick with 10's because of having less speaker to push the air with (best description i can remember) so they'll be faster. i've listened to jlw6 10's/12's, the eclipse 8 and 9 series 10's and 12's, and a yzen 12 so far.

SI D2.

Check the classifieds.

i guess the thing im hearing the most is to stick with 10's because of having less speaker to push the air with (best description i can remember) so they'll be faster. i've listened to jlw6 10's/12's, the eclipse 8 and 9 series 10's and 12's, and a yzen 12 so far.
Not true!

Any size subwoofer that is properly designed can perform the same as others.

SI d2 a very good choice, rf punch maybe too.

Any size subwoofer that is properly designed can perform the same as others.
very true. accuracy (how fast it hits cleanly) is alot more about the enclosure. a pretty decent sub with a real nice enclosure will play accuratly for yah.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I'd suggest an XBL^2 sub, for numerous reasons.

Primarily though, you are looking for a sub that can maintain its composure, even with rapid-fire high-impact double bass hits, along with whatever other bass material will be going on (metal, you know)...

XBL^2 technology fundamentally eliminates intermodulation distortion, where other technologies (save for JBL's DDD technology) can't do that... and IMD is the primary audible distortion present in a loudspeaker.

It does so by virtue of flattening the BL curve like a table top, so as the voice coil and cone are moving in and out, the BL value (motor strength) remains constant - where with traditional motor architectures, this value fluctuates, decreasing the farther in either direction the sub cone moves - and as it changes, so do all the T/S specs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

In fact, it cleans up the sound so much, that many enthusiasts have commented that it doesn't "sound" as loud - because it no longer contains all the violent awkwardness of a train wreck as most subs do as a result of IMD... it's not as violent, it's realistic, accurate.

It also happens to have the side effect of increasing your excursion capabilities... so, you can reach monsterous excursion levels... read: monsterous output levels. You do listen to it loud, don't you? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'd suggest an XBL^2 sub, for numerous reasons.Primarily though, you are looking for a sub that can maintain its composure, even with rapid-fire high-impact double bass hits, along with whatever other bass material will be going on (metal, you know)...
the only XBL^2 subs out there currently are the ADIRE & RE right?

i was running 4 polk momo 10's... sealed... at 375w RMS a piece... then i messed that amp up and i am running a single momo 10 ported at 48... and about 220w rms... i love it... it is in a hatchback but it has great SQ.... i'm trying to get money to buy an amp so i can have 2 10's... because i have an extra momo in the closet... plus i built a new box for 2 10's... but you could go with a really good 10 and a amp pushing close to the RMS of the sub...

i dunno if he's gonna wanna go ported at all for what the usage is looking at... but if you're going ported you might want to try a lil lower then 48 hz for a flatter (accurate) response curve.

yeah the box for the 2 10's is ported at 28... don't ask me why i went for 48 but it wangs pretty hard =)
lol, i'm sure it does!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

Aside from all the subwoofer stuff, I've heard some newer stuff and the recording is poopy for bass response. I'm no pro, but I did record a few songs for a band on professional equipment, so when I hear some of these new albums, i can tell you that stuff is missing!

IE: If your metal (typically darker/death metal) has "clicky" drums, it will pretty much never have good bass!

Aside from that, you might want to consider some under-seat subwoofers also, as it will help with the floor/tom drums that typically get "lost" (just IMO)

My RE12 has kept up with everything I've thrown at it.

One of the coolest songs IMO to date...Opeth's Master's Apprentices

Like the first minuet or so is just non stop double bass...crazyness, I get tired just listening to it.

Just so you get an idea what else I listen to...

Opeth, At The Gates, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, Lamb of God, Messuggah, Nevermore, The Haunted.

So far, I've yet to find anything that my setup has problems with. Hope this helps some.

i'd recommend xbl as well.....as well as the d2, ed kv2/ov2 too

ever listen to haste the day.....good band with and insane drummer....there's double kick for ya..and i have a number of subs i've tried them on.....some are good....some are bad

i'd recommend xbl as well.....as well as the d2, ed kv2/ov2 too
ever listen to haste the day.....good band with and insane drummer....there's double kick for ya..and i have a number of subs i've tried them on.....some are good....some are bad

Not trying to start anything with ya...but how can you reccomend something you've never heard? Or maybe you are one of the few who have heard the kv2/ov2's...if so, then I appoligize, but if not...thats a rather bold statement from something that VERY few have seen in person....let alone used.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.