CarAudio.com Elite
Minnesota
Vehicle : 1997 yukon

Location in the vehicle: cargo area, below window line

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 48wide x 17tall x 32 or less deep

Subwoofer make and model: 9518 D motor with older style recones

Subwoofer Size:18

Number of Subwoofers: two

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): slot or aero?

My current box is like 13 cubes with 16 sq inches of port per cube, tuned at 37hz. Subs up, slot port across the bottom of the box firing to the rear. I feel like the box is too big, but the subs never bottom out or anything of that sort. Metered 149.8 on music peaking at 35hz. power is two aq3500's strapped @ 2 ohm.

Now I have had some ideas already. Basically same size box as now, just not near as tall, to get below window line.. If I cant its not that big of a deal but would like to. So box idea now is 48x17x32ish. I have at least 6 inches between the port and the rear doors with it being 32 deep.

Im just wondering what I should do for a port. I kind of wanted to do some aero ports, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on ports, so it would most likely be out of pvc. I was considering just one huge port, like 12-14" diameter, would that work well or??

I don't know, I just cant decide on what to do. Im prolly just going to have to make a few boxes, but they aren't cheap to make, especially when theyre this big. So anyone with experience in similar vehicle and subs if you got any input/advice before I build something that would be nice.

I guess I don't have much for pics of the box. This is an older pic, it has since seen more bracing. I added more braces in the port, like the one that's in it, I jus added two more to it.

IMG_0161.jpg

Im more than likely not going to tune to 40hz. Im hoping to tune a little bit into the lower side, but if tuning a little higher will help throw up a marginally better number I will, but still not going up to 40hz.

Another question. Say I decide to build a box just to throw up a good number, would the box size I posted be ok?

Im more than likely not going to tune to 40hz. Im hoping to tune a little bit into the lower side, but if tuning a little higher will help throw up a marginally better number I will, but still not going up to 40hz.
Another question. Say I decide to build a box just to throw up a good number, would the box size I posted be ok?
Ok, I have two dc m1 xl 18's. Underpowered, tuned @ 29 hz with small port area. 149.2 on music @ 35 hz. It's killer sound for daily, great volume behind it. With 2 DD 9518's and good port area you will throw up a good number still.

What would be "good port area" tho? That's one of the things that I don't know where to start, I don't know how much port area I should go with. But then again I haven't even decided on what type of port so that doesn't help either..

wrong. Even DD says to tune higher. most of the DD line likes a larger enclosure, tuned to 40.
DD like any company has "their suggestions". However, that does not mean what ever they suggest is the magic enclosure by any means. Altering tuning based on preferences and how the enclosure will load/perform once installed would be most ideal situation.

**note**

This does not just pertain to DD it would be all inclusive when designing/building enclosures.

I don't think I can support these amps strapped @ .5, that would be .25 per amp.. I want to try it sometime but im afraid to **** something up..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.