Any Differnce W/ 10" Sub W/ Recomend enclosure .5 vs Another 10" W/ 2.0 Recomended En

Participant count
  • Participant list

kevincolby650

ca
Hi guys,

I have a question about enclosures, I searched online but couldn't find anything.

I wanted to see if there is any difference between recommended enclosures Only (Not subwoofers). For Example;

10" Subwoofer with recommended .5 cu ft sealed box

vs

10" Subwoofer with recommended 2.0 cu ft sealed box

Would these subs perform similar since you have the recommended enclosure? I know the subs are designed differently so need different sizes. but is there an advantage one would have simple from a larger or smaller box?

hope this makes sense! lol

thanks,

Im not to worried about the sub and specs. I am curious to know if the characteristics of the box has an advantage. Lets say a speaker builder made a woofer for a .5 cu ft enclosure. Then he also made a woofer for a 2.0 cu ft enclosure. Would there be an advantage simply from just box size?

Would the woofer designed for a small box play just as low as the woofer designed for the bigger box? And do on....

hope that helps.

Well I assume the .5cuft box is sealed and the 2.0 would be ported.

With all being the same, the 2.0cuft box should be louder and more efficient.

Keep in mind this is all else being equal.

The sub you use would need to work in each. That along with the power used and proper tuning for the ported will also play a BIG role in the final outcome.

Simply stated, smaller boxes allow for higher power handling while larger boxes allow for lower bass. Therefore, if a manufacturer has a subwoofer with high compliance (loose suspension) they will recommend a smaller enclosure that will compensate for that lack of suspension. And for a woofer with low compliance the manufacturer will recommend a large enclosure to take advantage of the lower extension provided by large boxes.

And, since everything in audio (especially car audio) is a trade off, manufacturers have to design some woofers for small boxes because some people care more about cargo space than bass and they have to design some woofers for larger boxes because some of us prefer quality sound to extra cargo space.

Of course, ultimately, they're trying to design speakers that work as well in small boxes as they would in larger ones, so they can reach a greater share of the market with fewer products.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.