Any APT-X bluetooth rumors?

Participant count
  • Participant list

CZ Eddie
10+ year member

Has anyone heard anything about any head units coming out soon that have the APT-X lossless Bluetooth codec? For hi-def wireless audio from our phones to the car stereo?

==========================

What is APT-X?

It's Bluetooth for "Audiophiles".

APT-X Lossless supports high-definition audio up to 96 kHz sampling rates and sample resolutions up to 24 bits.

• Key Features
  • Compression ratio: 4:1
  • Audio Format: 16-bit, 44.1kHz (CD-Quality)
  • Data Rates: 352kbps
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz to 22kHz
  • Algorithmic Delay:
  • Dynamic Range: 16-bit: >92dB
  • THD+N: -68.8dB

If I had to guess, normal A2DP Bluetooth might sound as good as a 96kbps MP3 file. While APTX Bluetooth sounds as good as a 320kpbs MP3. Essentially, to the trained ears it is a HUGE difference in sound quality.

"Normal" Bluetooth streaming music can sound great. Most of my mp3 collection is no less than 256 kbps. I've heard an improvement when going from Bluetooth to the same files on USB, but it's not nearly as bad as you're saying. That said, it does depend on both the Bluetooth in the portable device and the Bluetooth in the head unit. They both have to be good enough.

edit: Regarding APT-X, I have not heard any news about this for aftermarket car audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.