any 1 with a good working understanding of subwoofer boxes help me out please

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bangin-Contour
10+ year member

ok

thanks for reading my post,ive been putting post up like all this month lol and i can express how help you people are!! so heres the deal,

i have finally decided to go with a ported box!

the question is:

how do i tune it{do you do it but the lengh of the port?}?

how big should it be for 2 12in puch hx2s dvcs?

should i put a wall between the subs? if im only using a mono amp?

is it true the bigger the box the higher spl i will get?

well thank you for your help and time

get the specs for the ports from your manual or the mfg.

devide the box

bigger ported boxes are louder (just make sure you build it to specs)

take a look into building an ABC box heard they do some real damage hith that same sub from someone in this forum, Post a thread and they might be able to provide you with the plans=, its pretty wikked

I would have to agree on dividing the box. Tuning the enclosure is based on the size of the enclosure. And the length and diameter of the ports. The bigger the enclosure the higher the output to a certain point. How large of a ported enclosure is really determined by how much trunk space you want to use //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Let me know.

WELL I USE AS MUCH OF THE TRUNK ,ALL I NEED IS SPACE FOR AMPS AND CAPS WITCH IS NOT MUCH,!!! SO ANY SUGGESTIONS NOW? I WANA GO ALL OUT ON A BOX ,ALTHOUGH I SHOULD HAVE A BETTER SETUP FOR SPL RATHER THEN 2PUNCH HX2S AND A 1000.1 AMP BUT THATS WHAT I GOTA WORK WITH FOR NOW SO I WANA MAKE THE MOST OUTA IT!

You would be surprised by the spl you can get from your equipment. Believe me there will be more than enough boom. Give me some measurements of your trunk. Heigth, width depth. I will help you out with some dimensions.

Okay how about 33w x 24d x 16 h which comes out to about 6.6cuft internally using 3/4 material. That's including a 3/4 divider in the middle. I'll get back to you shortly on the ports. I used basically this same setup two years ago. Do you plan on competing solely or do you plan on listening to this setup as well. This will help in tuning. Most SPL enclosures are tuned so high they sound like a@$ playing music. I know I'm full of questions //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I just don't want you to take all of the time building an enclosure then be dissapointed.

i really cant thank you enough for helping me out with this,

well i do plan on competing in summer at some local db drags

but also i dont want the box to sound to shity when playing music

i want a good combo high spl being the # 1 priority and sq being 2nd

so if it that helps all i want is a good mixure but lening more to the high spl side of it

plus will u help me out with tunning the box because i never done that be4

plus will this setup be good for that box? with 2 12in punchhx2s and the rockford1000.1? thanks

WELL IF THIS HELPS RAMOS I CAN USE THAT BOX FOR COMPITITION ONLY AND USE MY CURRENT BOX FOR DAILY MUSIC PLAYING OR IF WE CAN GET AWAY WITH

MAKIN THAT BOX GOO FOR HIGH SPL AND NOT SO SHITY SOUNDIN WHEN IT COMES TO DAILY MUSIC

Those subs in this box will rock. I don't have my notebook with me here at work. When I get home this evening I will post again with the port lengths and tuning frequency. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

ok thanks alot i would really appreacte it, so i **** at spelling lol

do you think its goin to be hard to build this box me and my friend never build box

before ? i guess aslong as we dont rush it and take our time well be ok

do i gota pre drill the holes?in the mdf?i heard that it splits if you dont

Yeah you can build it. There not that difficult. Always measure twice cut once. Take your time. Use wood glue on all of the joints. And yes predrill your screw holes. The mdf will split. As for the ports try some 4" diameter pvc pipe. Try 14" long one for each side of the enclosure for a 35hz tuning. You will get great spl, and it will sound awesome. If you want to make it a comp only box. Try two ports each side 17" deep. this will raise your tuning too 45hz. When you meter the enclosure for competition. Use a frequency right at the tuning frequency of the enclosure. And you will see and here a big increase in output.

ok cool,now about the port? how do i make it ok i cut the 4'' diameter out the box then wha? do put glue on the port and slide it in?

silicone will do a better job, or liquid nails. either one will also help seal around the port. here is how i would do it...

1. dry fit the port to make sure it will fit

2. make a mental referance as to where the port fits in the mdf

3. put silicone( liquid nail) around that area on the port itself

4. slide the port in

5. add a little more around the outside

hopefully, you can reach inside the box and put a little more around the port around the inside. the best case is that you have cut all the pieces out of mdf you'll need and know where your ports are going. then go ahead and put your ports in so that you can reach both sides of them. then finish assembling the box.

I agree with mrray13. Also I have found that when you are building a ported enclosure. That leaving the front baffle ( where the speaker mounts ) for last works out pretty good.. That way you can cut your holes for the sub(s) and port(s) and silicone the ports in with no trouble at all. Then put the baffle in the box. A little more silicon some screws. Let the silicon dry before you put the sub in. Some surrounds can be damaged by the gas given off by drying silicon.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.