Another Speaker Question

Participant count
  • Participant list

jcraft
10+ year member

OKay so here is another question. I have installed the Rockford Fosgate 50x4 amp in my car. It is driving the two front door speakers ( 3 way) from two channels. These speakers are Aftermarket PIoneers rated at 35rms. I am going to disconnect the two dash tweeters to make it sound better. I have the gain set on these about 3/4 before distortion happens. The rears speakers are Polks 5x7 three ways which are 100 watt RMS. These are driven off the other two amp channels. I can only set the gain on these channels to a little under 1/2 before they distort. I am wondering to get the best sound and volume, because the RMS is a lot higher on these and I am only feeding them 50 watts, IF i would be better off wiring these in parrellel of one of the channels to give them a bit more power. let me know. Thanks.

If you run the two back speakers in parallel the power output will go up, but since it's split between the two speakers you won't gain any output. If you need more output you need more power with a bigger amplifier.

Where the gains is set is irrelevant to the front or back speakers, first ther rears are more difficult to hear since they are lower and if you are in the front you can't hear them as if you were in the back and had your head at arm rest height.

Second the polks are more sensitive speakers 92 db spl versus 88-89 db spl on the pioneers, this means lower gains for the polks, use the fader to set the gains, the output level is probably there unless the polks are bad or some settings on the HU need correction.

The rears are fillers anyway and not as important as the fronts. Best way to set the gains is with a voltmeter, if your HU has 5 volt RCA's your gains gains don't need to be set high, if they are 2 volts they need to be set high.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.