Amps and clipping question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rockguy475
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
houston
If someone did not properly set there gains, especially on the subwoofer channel, could that cause an amp to clip which in turn send it into protection mode?

Also could clipping on an amp stress the amp to where it was not receiving enough voltage then it was trying to send out, which in turn would briefly cut the amp off until it stopped clipping?

thanks for any info

The reason I'm asking this is because up until now I had not set my gains properly and my amp kept shutting off very briefly to where it would decrease in volume drastically until I turned my volume knob down.

ever since I have properly set my gains this problem has stopped. was wondering if clipping was the cause of this

Clipping or lack of proper electrical or combination of both.
Pretty sure all my electrical was fine. Just got a new Optima yellow top battery (I know ppl on here say they are not that great but for a 900 rms system that should be more then enough) and just got my alternator checked out from auto zone and they said it was working fine. Did the big 3 under my hood and had all my ground checked. The problem has seem to gone away. Was just wondering if clipping alone could have caused my problem.

could have had the gain set past the max rms output point of the amp, especially if you know you didn't have the gains set correctly.

yeah, that electrical should be fine for 900 rms

could have had the gain set past the max rms output point of the amp, especially if you know you didn't have the gains set correctly.
yeah, that electrical should be fine for 900 rms
Right on. I have a feeling it must have been my gains then. I was starting to get very annoyed with how it kept shutting off at high volumes but now it doesn't do that any more thank goodness. I cant believe how some peoples systems can operate with them setting their gains by ear after my experience. I will never do that again. It may also have been bc of my amp. Supposedly the JL HD amps have the R.I.P.S technology in them which is supposed to make them put out a continuous RMS if set correctly.

Right on. I have a feeling it must have been my gains then. I was starting to get very annoyed with how it kept shutting off at high volumes but now it doesn't do that any more thank goodness. I cant believe how some peoples systems can operate with them setting their gains by ear after my experience. I will never do that again. It may also have been bc of my amp. Supposedly the JL HD amps have the R.I.P.S technology in them which is supposed to make them put out a continuous RMS if set correctly.
yeah man I had a kenwood amp that did that **** to me, adjusting the volume and **** on me. Did you lose much output when you adjusted your gains (i'm assuming you ended up turning them down from where you had em?) or not really?

haha setting your speakers by ear isn't that hard and it's probably more accurate, as the power output changes per the tone (music) being played, so setting your gains on a test tone only gets ya close. Just gotta have a good ear and know what you're listening for.

yeah man I had a kenwood amp that did that **** to me, adjusting the volume and **** on me. Did you lose much output when you adjusted your gains (i'm assuming you ended up turning them down from where you had em?) or not really?
haha setting your speakers by ear isn't that hard and it's probably more accurate, as the power output changes per the tone (music) being played, so setting your gains on a test tone only gets ya close. Just gotta have a good ear and know what you're listening for.
So can some people set their gains more accurate by ear then using a test tone and a voltmeter? My front and rear speakers were fine when I set them by ear but it was the sub that I didn't set right (twice) the first time I cranked the gain way to high and the second time I actually used a volt meter but had my sub level and bass boost on which I know now not to do. Took me 3 different attempts on messing the amp and deck settings but now everything sounds legit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.