Amps and charginf system.

TimidSh0ck
10+ year member

Alabama
Im interested in 2 amps, the JL 500/1 and the PG Tantrum 1200.1.

Both are very versitile amps, though the PG has more room to "expand" in wattage. I drive a '95 Nissan Hardbody pickup and im curious which amp would be better. Im have all intentions on either running a dual battery setup or getting a BatCap. Getting a new alternator is basically out of the question. Right now, im basically looking for somthing loud, and im not sure if i could get that out of the JL 500/1, not to mention it cost around 40~ more than the PG. If anyone has any information, ideas, opions, i would appreciate them very much.

Thank You in advance, and sorry for the annoying twibish questions.

I used to have 1 500/1 with 1 10w7 in jl's HO box in my truck(99rangerxcab)It was pretty loud and hit hard without a cap or alt the lights did dim though. I never used the PG amp so I can't comment on it.

the jl amp is a good and will do a little more than 500watts. if you are looking for serious sound you should go with the pg it is a good amp, but a little current hungry. i have one but it is not hooked up just laying around waiting to b unleashed on some subs.

what subs do you plan on running? there is a big difference between the 2. the jl is 500+ rms and the pg is 1400+. the pg is power hungry and i'm in the process of replacing my alt. i think you should pick your subs and match up the amp to them.

REALLY loud isn't my main concern, i just want somthing that can be heard. I was really looking for subs that would operate idealy on the 500/1. I was looking at a w6v2 however, i'd rather have 2-3 12s, rather than just one. If anyone has any suggestions for subs that would be decently loud on the 500/1, that would be great.

I thought about just going ahead and getting the PG, but, i know it would kill my alt. Im not POSITIVE but i THINK i only have a 60amp alt, so a dual battery/batcap setup would probably kill the alt.

ok, just recived a price on a 200 amp alt. Nice price, however im going to start off with the JL 500/1. Any sub recommendations?

**** if you just want something that you can hear then theres no reason for you to get a huge as amp that takes a shitload of currect and isnt very effecient. The 500/1 is gonna be your best bet which is actually gonna give you 600 RMS realistically with its regulated power supply and Im willing to bet that it will hog a lot less current than the 1200.1

A 500/1 would power a W6v2 perfectly and if you went with like 2 W3's it would also be perfect. Pretty much that 500/1 will make just about any sub sound good considering Ive heard a 500/1 hooked up to a 15 in L5 in about a 4 cubic foot ported box (which technically shoud have **** ass SQ) But you could seriously enter it in a SQ contest cause it just sounded so good.

Good deal, I thinking about running a complete JL system, just need to get another amp(after the 500/1) to power my componets, and im set, Thanks for the info.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.