Amplifier terminals and power wire gauge

Participant count
  • Participant list

Johnniz

Oslo
Hi.

This weekend I am going to install my first ever "system" and I have got everything I need.

However, when I consult my amplifier manual, it recommends 8 gauge power wire, and the guy in the store sold me an 4 gauge amp wiring kit. The terminals on my amplifier looks too small to feed the entire 4 gauge wire through. The kit does include Spade (or U) terminals which fits kind of tight between the plates in the terminals to my amp. However, after watching 50 (or so) youtube videos there are some who splits the powerwire ends so they go on either side of the screw (whenever they use heavier gauge wire).

What do you guys think? What method should I go for?

Thx

Use the spade terminals. They form a better connection for conducting electricity than the bare wires. You'll see plenty of poor installation techniques on YouTube videos that function but aren't the best practices. Get a good quality wire crimper, not the $5 special from the auto parts store.

All Right! Cheers.

U think regular (good quality) crimpers would work with 4 gauge terminals? Or do I need to use the kind that you hit with a hammer?

not likely to work well with 4 ga terminals. if your savy with a torch and solder you could solder the ends on. I know guys that do the hammer thing and usually comes out like crap. if you have a vice with notches for holding round stuff you could use that too. but deffinately use the forks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.