Amplifier settings on Pioneer D3

Well today I was setting my amplifier up in my car. To do this I was using a Tektronic O-scope from work. I found that when playing my Test CD(Autosound 2000) at 40Hz 0dB, everything at flat and at 0 on the D3. The preamps don't clip at full volume (40). The D3 puts out right around 4.1 V pk-pk (1.4 Vrms). I didn't check to see at what volume the internal speaker amp starts to clip, but by the sound of the music I'm sure it starts to clip sooner then full volume. So for all of you out there at don't use the internal speaker amp, you can set your amplifiers up at full volume (40). Tomorrow or maybe later tonight if I get bored I will go and see at what volume the internal amp starts to clip at.

Thanks for the information. Your fellow D3 owners appreciate it. I am pretty impress too with the non-distorted high volume, but that's just my ear. Good that you have a o-scope to prove it. The pre-out is still very low at normal listening. I have to set my Alpine PDX 1.600 input setting to 0.1v-1v just to get decent wattage to the subs.

That is my biggest complain for this headunit, but you get what you pay for. I'm want to get an Audiocontrol 6xs for my system to boost the preamp voltage, and have a better x-over then what pioneer has to offer.

Have you guys bypassed your D3? I did but when I do, the RCA preouts send a VERY VERY quiet signal to the amp. Only way other D3 people have gotten to use the preouts like normal is by undoign the bypass but then you can't watch DVD's or enter a new route while driving.

What do you mean by "VERY VERY quiet signal"? Like white noise or hissing noise? I have the bypass done, the only noise I hear is the noise floor from some recording, otherwise it's clean. Maybe you should check the bypass ground.

LexusRob,

What SLA level are you testing them at? I increase the SLA to +3/4 DB to get more voltage out of it. It'll be cool to know if you max those out to 4 when you tested it.

I was using the CD player and I had everything at zero when I was doing my test. According to the specs the D3 puts out a maximum voltage of 1.7 Vrms. I will have to do some playing with the SLA to see at what level it starts to clip with the CD player, and Ipod.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.