Amplifier Fan on/car off

Participant count
  • Participant list

sleazebagger
10+ year member

nobody!!!
Madison, WI
I have two 1100.1's I recently bought from a user and one of them blew through the fuses today. probably a sign of a bad PSU or somehow... a crossed wire, but I dont think so. The amp is working again with new fuses but...

What I found odd though is the fan continues to run after the car and HU are powered down.

The other amp is operating normal, where as the fan shuts down.

any thoughts??

thanks will be given

I have two 1100.1's I recently bought from a user and one of them blew through the fuses today. probably a sign of a bad PSU or somehow... a crossed wire, but I dont think so. The amp is working again with new fuses but...
What I found odd though is the fan continues to run after the car and HU are powered down.

The other amp is operating normal, where as the fan shuts down.

any thoughts??

thanks will be given
could be like the fans on your car how they stay on after the key an engine is off. making sure it fully cools down the board and everything. just a guess bro. i had a couple amps that did that but never actually payed any attention to it cause they shut off shortly after

could be like the fans on your car how they stay on after the key an engine is off. making sure it fully cools down the board and everything. just a guess bro. i had a couple amps that did that but never actually payed any attention to it cause they shut off shortly after

I was hoping that was the case but I shut my car down two hours ago and its still running

Well I talked to the guy who sold them to me and he said he tested them for 24+ hours and no fan was running when off.

I really dont think he would of noticed because I have had it in for a week and the only reason I could tell was the fuses blew and when I was changing the fuse I could see it spinning but hear no sound at all. It is sitting at its lowest speed.

Does Zapco service their amps... old/new?

Thanks again

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 PM ----------

oh yeah thats no good bro.
can you please inform me how this is no good. thanks much

Good news:)

This is from the Admin of the Zapco forum:

"Yes it is normal for the 1100.1 fan to run after turn off. It runs at a very low speed and will not drain the system".

One of the amps is a reference series but there both 1100.1's. just one year difference.

Stay running for two hours seems pretty long for cooling after shutoff tho, but who knows maybe it really is designed to do that. So how did the fuse blew? Got a bit volume-happy?
I think and I hope that was the case. I have been being extra careful to not have it up for more then 30 sec at half tilt but I'm still only on stock electrical. Hopefully I didn't do any damage.

My old Crossfire CFA1000D was able to pull the voltage down to 12.1v in my old 94 VW Golf on stock electrical(90a alt, cheap battery from Fleet Farm) and engine running so your setup definitely can pull the voltage down even more. You might wanna invest on a digital voltage display so you know when to turn it down.

If I remember correctly most Zapco amps have regulated power supplies so it'll try to pull more current if the voltage isn't up to par so maybe that's why the fuses blew.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.