Amplifier confusion...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Diabolic
10+ year member

I have two problems with a current install:

First, with a JBL bp1200.1, the amp powers up but instantly goes into protection mode. It never makes a sound or gets hot. I have seen this problem mentioned before but forgot what the solution was.

Second, when I connect one of three amplifiers to the REM/power wire, the amp does not turn on but more interestingly, all other amps turn off. I thought perhaps the multiple amps were too much of a drain on the REM wire but after testing, discovered that was not the case. I have never seen this problem before and would greatly appreciate some insight.

Originally posted by Diabolic I have two problems with a current install:

First, with a JBL bp1200.1, the amp powers up but instantly goes into protection mode. It never makes a sound or gets hot. I have seen this problem mentioned before but forgot what the solution was.

Second, when I connect one of three amplifiers to the REM/power wire, the amp does not turn on but more interestingly, all other amps turn off. I thought perhaps the multiple amps were too much of a drain on the REM wire but after testing, discovered that was not the case. I have never seen this problem before and would greatly appreciate some insight.

For your first question... how are your amps hooked up to your ground and power? If you have them all connected directly, you might want to invest in a couple good distrobution blocks and run it off of that.

Check your grounds, and ALL your wiring. Make sure your grounds are connected and are in a good place. Make sure all power cables are connected and secure also. Check your fuses. Sometimes those blow and cause gayness in a system. Check all of the little things that you'd normally overlook. If you still cant figure it out then post another message.

The three amps ARE probably drawing too many amperes from the remote wire. I'd say hook up a relay and run it like that. I've never used a relay but everyone says they are super easy.

For the first problem, I can't guess what would do that except perhaps shorted speaker wires. If it goes into protection without subs attached, the amp has issues.

The second problem sounds like the 3rd amp is shorting out the remote wire. Measure the amp's remote terminal to ground with an ohmmeter. If it's lower than 120 ohms (100 milliamps current) run it off a relay.

I appreciate the replies. As it turns out, problem #1 with the JBL was actually one of my subs. I had repeatedly checked the wiring on the coils so I eventually hooked up two other amps (I have a closet full) and discovered that none of them played. To my disappointment, one of my three subwoofers became a passive radiator for now. :p

As for problem #2, I had checked the grounds and REM power lead wire for the required voltage. Everything was ok. The amp that was shutting everything off was a Lightning Audio s4.600. The problem turned out to be in the little three-prong plug they give you to easily attach the amp to the power, REM, and ground wires. Weird but there was apparently a short in it. I switched it out and no problems.

Now I just need to find another Orion XTRPRO10D - which is like looking for a needle in a haystack - or I need to replace it with something equivalent.

If you can't find another Orion I would look for replacements for both. Mixing and matching is going to give you nothing but trouble. Use just the one or replace both and sell the Orion to recoup some money. Just opinion.

Mike

I agree with your opinion. I think selling the two Orions and replacing them - provided I can't find another XTRPRO10D - is my safest option. I don't want to add problems by mixing sub models, especially in shared air space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.