Amplifier Classes

The coolest thing about the Tripath chips was the scalability. The Tripath chip controlled the output device switching but the output devices could be spec'd to whatever the requirement for the final amp was. The PG Tantrum 1200 was a Tripath as were some of the Avionixx amps.

The Tripath amps weren't "just chip amps." They were chip controlled but the output devices were not on the IC, they were standalone MOSFETs.
from what I recall, tripath made both a controller and a chipamp controller+powerstage IC. the combo ICs were for lower power (less then 100W) applications that needed low cost and low space.

both TI and National make class D controllers that should be fairly scalable.

just found it guess its considered class a/b
Most of the time multi-channel amps are class A/B. Class D/T multi-channel amps are typically denoted as such by the manufacturer or in their literature somewhere (mainly for marketing purposes, IMO).

But, the main reason I'm responding is because you mention "high current amps". Keep in mind there's no official or industry-standard definition as to what is considered a "high current" amplifier (that I'm aware of). It's a marketing term and little else.

Typically it's used in regards to amps designed to make power into lower impedance loads (such as 1ohm, since as impedance decreases, output current increases....hence the current output is "higher"). But there's no definition of the term, no classification of which amps can be or can't be "high current" amps. It's based on marketing.

So don't let the term fool you into classifying "high current" amps together as some sort of special or officially designated category as the term itself is meaningless.

The coolest thing about the Tripath chips was the scalability. The Tripath chip controlled the output device switching but the output devices could be spec'd to whatever the requirement for the final amp was. The PG Tantrum 1200 was a Tripath as were some of the Avionixx amps.
so what class is the amp in my sig

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.