Amp wrong wiring fried head unit?

Participant count
  • Participant list

corl45

ok, so the other night I bought 2 12" subs from my friend with a 500w stereo amp, and I was hooking it up last night, and did everything like you're required to I took off the negative, I ran the powercable (with fuse) through the firewall and to my trunk. and hooked up the remote switch from my head unit, and the sub out, and ran those as well. I hooked them all up to the amp, but I misread the inputs on the amp. I hooked up ground to remote and remote to ground. I then tried to turn the car on, but it wouldn't turn (so it never fully powered on) we did a bit of trouble shooting and found it to be just a loose/corroded connection on the positive side of the battery. My car starts up fine now, (though I don't have the amp hooked up to the power on the battery). But driving to work today, I found that my head unit doesn't power on. I'm at work right now, and it's killing me to sit here and not see whats wrong. Would that have fried my head unit? or do you think it just blew a fuse?

Hard to say... hooking the HU remote to ground could have damaged it, but I dunno if that'd keep it from turning on.
That's what sounds like it might have caused the damage or blow fuse at the least check the one on the back of the HU and the cars fuse for the HU as well.

I would just like to say, for future readers, everything turned out fine for me. just tripped the 15A accessory fuse, bought a new one, finished wiring my amp and subs. All works well now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.