Amp wont work without Equalizer?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hellrazor1200

Wv
So my old setup was a daul Hu to an Eq off the rear speaker outs. The Eq has front rear and sub out. Front and rear went to a four chan sony amp. The sub out went to a 2 chan sony amp which i have bridged runnin two tens in series. Just gotta new alpine Hu with front and rear/sub rcas. I was trying to do away with the Eq by runnin rcas to my front input on the amp and then i ran the rear/sub rca outs to the 2 channel sony amp withy subs. Played a song and adjusted the alpines subwoofer control all the way to +15 and it barely hit. Why?...so i then just connected my rear subouts to the rear input on my 4 channel amp for my 6x9s etc got my regular speakers tuned up. Then I went back to my Eq (which was still connected using high level inputs ) and connected the sub out rca to my sony 2 channel. The Eq has its own hp/lp filter for the sub out and has a bass level knob(sony amp doesnt have bass knob btw). So the question is why do my subs hit extremely hard with the Eq but not when the amp is connected straight from the Alpines subout rca connection turned up to 15?

Didnt even think to readjust my gain with my new headunit lol i did readjust the gain on my 4 chan amp just because the speakers sounded like crap lol. But thats on instinct. Anyways the problem is if i use my rear/ sub out rca off the alpine to my sub amp and readjust the gains and get it all good then for using the rear inputs on my 4 channel amp im stuck using my high level inputs to grt signal to the alpine type s 6x9s which ive already tried and it sounds like crap( way to much volume and midlevel frequencies) like why would an alpine Hu only have a front out and rear/subout rcas . Who the hell is gonna power front speakers and subs. Unless you have a matching set of 4 you cant get the gain right if you wire 4 speakers off 2 channels you know what i mean? And since im using high level inputs to my subs i have no control of them from the Hu only my equalizer. Anyways just took a ride alls soundin good just so many different configs till i get it better lol

I too run an Alpine and also have the sub on it at +15 at times. The gain on my big amp is at 1/2. The 4 ch is right around 10 o'clock if you will.

You shouldn't need an EQ if both amps have built in x-overs. Sounds like something is turned down. Also I might add, my Alpine has the MX button. Press that if yours has it. It will be a lot louder, acts as a loudness button, but be careful if your gains and volume are turned up.

I had the amp connected to rear rca out off the alpine the lp was on and the gain was up all the way the alpine subwoofer was set to +15 and still barely a thump ?! Ill try lookin for the mx though

Im literally in my car and i put on g6 as a test . Had rcas to sub amp and was adjusting the subwoofer an yhe bass level. I could feel it pretty good and almost called it satified!! But then i hooke the amp back up to the Eq and holy **** its like 5 times harder hitting as if the subs i have are actually getting the wattage they deserve i wish i had an ammeter ughhhh btw my Eq is a Power Acoustic graphic equilizer it looks pretty dam old lol

I use the full volume range on an Alpine HU - clear to Vol 35. Alpine HU's don't clip at full volume. because of this, it takes more volume to get more output. and to get rated power out of an amp you need a full input signal.

your EQ is boosting the sub output signal, similar to increasing gain at the amp. you can do either.

i typically set gains so i'm happy with the sub level around 8-10. that way when a song has a softer mix, i can turn up sub level.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.