amp won't turn on = me sad =(

dannyt
10+ year member

was trying to install my Profile AP1000 amp, and it wouldn't turn on. i have no idea what i did wrong. ive been fiddling around for 2 days trying to get it to work, but i always end up disappointed. I checked the battery connection to my amp and it read ~12V. Ground connection looks to be fine. Power lead looks okay. BUT NO POWER.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif how would i check if the rca cables or the amp itself were bad?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Help a bummed guy out!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

Thanks.

Just updated my problem on page 2. please help! thanks guys

you dont need RCAs for your amp to power up, only ground, power and rem turn on. i always check the power and ground first, then the rem wire, and make sure its getting 12v+

using a volt meter, i checked the battery wire and it was at ~12V. What is the remote supposed to be at? ~12V too? I think i checked the remote and it was at 12 too. What else could be the problem? I doubt that its the amp itself, but how would i check? This *****:crying:

Just to make sure: To check the volts, touch one end to the battery and the other to the ground connection? And for the remote, one end on the remote and one end on the battery?

How would I check my connections to see if they are getting the correct power?

Using a voltmeter, where would i put the two ends to check?

How would i check to see if i have a defective fuse?

As long as you have the black lead on a ground, use the red lead to check your power and remote. Your power should have constant 12+v and remote should have 12+v when switched on. If your fuse was bad you would not get a reading on the power wire. Where is your remote connected to?

-Put one on the positive terminal and one on the ground terminal to check those.

Should read ~12

-Put one of the remote terminal and one on the ground terminal while the key is turned on.

Should read ~12+

-Check your power wires fuse. If its not broken then its ok.

-Jump the remote terminal by connecting the postive terminal and remote terminal.

If it works its either your remote bad or power wire.

-Put one on the positive terminal and one on the ground terminal to check those. Should read ~12

-Put one of the remote terminal and one on the ground terminal while the key is turned on.

Should read ~12+

-Check your power wires fuse. If its not broken then its ok.

-Jump the remote terminal by connecting the postive terminal and remote terminal.

If it works its either your remote bad or power wire.
x2

i dont want to hear that its fried. eeeek it's brand new. I'll be doomed.

as for my remote, its connected to the blue and white striped wire on the HU. I think when i checked the remote wire with the meter, it didnt show anything when i had it on remote and ground. But it did read ~12V when i had one end on power and one end on remote. Weird?

I'll try all the advice you guys are giving me early tomorrow morning. Thanks!

so i got my amp to turn on. but then when i went to check again its not on. I disconnected the battery and checked all my connections and blah blah and it worked, then it didnt.

then i jumped the remote terminal and the amp turned on. I am guessing that it is my remote wire. my remote wire is connected to the blue wire from my HU that is for external amp power lead though.

What am i supposed to do now? Can i just leave jump wire that connects the remote terminal to the battery terminal? Or do i have to get a new remote wire?

THANKS GUYS

yea just run a new wire.... anything will work u dont need nothing special rip a speaker wire in half and use that its all the same.... troubleshooting is fun isnt it:D

if there was a short in the wire, it would cause it to turn on then turn off?

and what would happen if i kept the remote terminal jumped to the battery terminal? when i do that, the amp only turns on when the key is in.

and yes troubleshooting is great...... lol all the help from you guys is roxxxx my soxxxx though haha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.