Amp voltage drops when REM wire is inserted?

Divvy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 1, 2021
Norway
Hello car audio lovers! Today I installed a new amplifier in my car, but the the power light wasn't illuminating. I tried measuring the voltage to it, and found out it was only 3-4 volts, but when I removed the REM wire it spiked up to 12 volts. The REM wire also measured 11-12 volts when I disconnected it from the amplifier. Im far from an expert in car audio, but this seems a bit strange? i also tested by taking a wire from the 12v terminal to the rem input, and the voltage still stooped. The fuses on the amp is intact. Its a DLS P44, installed in an Audi A4 B7 2006. Thanks for answers/suggestions! :)
IMG_3849.JPG IMG_3850.JPG IMG_3852.JPG IMG_3854.JPG

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
How certain are you that your ground coming out from the amp is sound? Double check ground (is it tight, have you sanded all paint away from the spot) confirm that if you're grounding to the car body that your ground from the battery to the car body is solid.

Some amps, if you have no ground or a bad ground will try to find ground through the RCAs from the head unit which can damage your source unit. Pull RCAs and if you resume testing use a jumper from +12 to REM to try to get this amp to power up.

Divvy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Mar 1, 2021
Norway
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How certain are you that your ground coming out from the amp is sound? Double check ground (is it tight, have you sanded all paint away from the spot) confirm that if you're grounding to the car body that your ground from the battery to the car body is solid.

Some amps, if you have no ground or a bad ground will try to find ground through the RCAs from the head unit which can damage your source unit. Pull RCAs and if you resume testing use a jumper from +12 to REM to try to get this amp to power up.
Sweet! found out today that i had just sanded down to the primer, thought it was bare metal as it was dark outside yesterday. sanded it down to bare metal and now it fires up ;) thanks a lot!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days