Amp Tuning

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys,

So after a lot of work, I finally installed my JBL P660C component speakers and my hifonics brx160.2 amp. Yesterday, I set my gain using my DMM, but there's still something I haven't quite figured out. First of all, These are components, not a sub. Do I need to set High pass filters and low pass filters on my amp if I have my gain already set. If so, will I have to dim down the gain so that I can adjust the filters so there isn't any clipping. I don't really understand what high pass filters and low pass filters do, and I'm not sure if they'll make my speakers sound more crisp or not? Also, my external crossovers have a 0 db or -6 db button on them, and I'm guessing this is sensitivity for the tweeters? If I increase the db with my gain already set will that also make clipping occur? Sorry if im stupid. Still trying to understand. Thanks

Set the crossover to high pass and set the high pass filter to ~80 Hz. Low pass filter is not used when x over is set to HP.

As for clipping, you have no way of knowing if you're clipping when you set with a DMM. Clipping most often comes from the source. i.e. your head unit and if you don't know where to set it then all you can do is guess with a DMM.

What model head unit do you have?

Are you using a processor?

What volume level did you have the HU set to?

Did you use bass or treble boost, loudness or any other boost circuit when setting?

I have a Pioneer DEH-8400BH head unit, dunno what a processor is. I had the volume 3/4 of max. And no i didn't. I calculated the volts I needed as 17.8 and put it a little under that just incase. I never exceed volume 45. I guess I was just wondering what to set my HPF to on my amp but you answered that. As for the crossover. Which setting is high pass? 0db or -6db?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.