Amp suggestions for my Touch Screen Juke Box Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

tony4613

I'm building a touch screen juke box and I'm using 4 Polk Audio DB651's and a Polk Audio db1240DVC sub. Trying to get amp suggestions as the amp I was planning on using is out of stock everywhere that has it at a decent price. The original amp I was going to use was a Precision Power P9005.

I'm really not even sure that I completely understand all of my options. Why are there not more 5 channel amps out there that don't cost 1K? I see lots of 1 and 2 channels. Don't most people have 4 speakers and a sub in their car? Can I use a 3 channel amp for 4 speakers and a sub?

View attachment 26548531

There aren't a lot of 5 channel amps on the market because there aren't a lot of people who want to buy them. Obviously, a 5 channel amp makes sense from the perspective of saving space and wiring simplicity but there are a number of very good reasons why people don't use them. A few of which are....

Many people buy their systems in phases. Ergo, subs and bass amp first, mids/highs and full range amps later.

Most casual buyers of car audio are only interested in adding a little bass and thus, don't need the full range section of a 5 channel.

With a 5 channel amp, you're kinda tethered to one bass section and the basshead disease causes us to want bigger and louder. Obviously, this means changing subwoofers and subwoofer amps... sometimes often.

In the end, your best option for the project you have above would be to shop Parts Express for a subwoofer plate amp and a 4 channel board amp that can be mounted inside your cabinet and easily powered from house power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.