Amp Suggestion

Skizza
10+ year member

So in my Dodge Magnum I have two PSI Platform 2 12"s (1000W RMS each) in fiberglassed pocket enclosures with approx .68-.71 cu ft. airspace. I know that little airspace *****, but I need the trunk space, and Dave at PSI built them with my small airspace in mind. I'm currently running an old trusty Alphasonik PMA 1000DA amp. I initially planned to wire it at 1ohm to push 2060W to my subs, but for some reason it is shutting off , so i had to wire it at 2ohm's, so it is only pushing 1500W.

My audio guy recommended the Rockford Fosgate T1500, but told me that he's not sure if the difference would be worth the $600. I'm actually thinking about the RF T2500 which is 2500W of constant power.

My question's are:

• Am I simply screwed by my limited airspace?
  • Would a amp upgrade yield noticeable results?
  • What amp would you recommend?

More info about my subs:

Platform 2 - This is the beast! It has a very large amount of magnetic strength. This particular motor is geared towards high powered, high ouput use. It can be built to work in small to large ported, bandpass, and infinite baffle applications. While most comparably sized subwoofers on the market all lack in terms of low end output, this can be built with to deliver massive amounts of low end, while still sounding great!

If all-out SPL, BassRace, Street Beat applications are your goal, this motor assembly would be a perfect starting platform. With an extended length 8 layer voice coil, a quad stack of spiders, triple leadwires, and a pole blocking cap, these can handle up to 3500w RMS depending on the enclosure type, and up to 25,000 watts of burp power handling.

The motor also has a chamfered pole piece to aid in cooling during daily, high powered use. Some companies charge extra to add this as an option to their high power subwoofers, but it's a standard part of ours!

Motor specs:

Dual 9" x 1.125" ceramic ferrite magnets - Y35 grade

8.25" x .80" 1010 low carbon steel top plate

8.25" x 1.2" 1010 low carbon steel back plate

Chamfered pole piece

1.3" rear pole vent

Chrome plating

Full FEA optimization

no way mathematically possible yo changed ohm load from 1 ohm to 2 ohm unless you disconnect a woofer what ohm are the subs and how did you wire them. maybe you have the amp wired at .5 ohm and thats why it was shutting off. what type of power are you running (alternator, batteries, wire).

Alpine MRX-M240 (MRXM240) Monoblock X-Power Class D Car Amp

500 bucks with a 3 year square trade is a much better option and square trade is amazing with warranties vs manufacturer.

and if you use a visa card you will get 40 bucks egift code //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

and they are local so you can always go and pick it up //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif sonic is great and an authorized dealer

CT Sounds AT 1400.1. ~2400 watts rms on good electrical and less than $350.00. And when you want to double the power, get another and strap em.

Here are a set of them in my truck running strapped at a half ohm on Zv3 15s:

CT Sounds AT 1400.1. ~2400 watts rms on good electrical and less than $350.00. And when you want to double the power, get another and strap em.
Here are a set of them in my truck running strapped at a half ohm on Zv3 15s:

Hmm you may be able to get a dirty 2400 and 1 second. You can see the true power of the amp posted on their site, steve meade tests the amp.

iirc they push a little over 1400, but after dc resistance and box rise his subs will be getting about half rms.

I have a Mmats 3500.05 for sale that will do 2k@1ohm. If its possible for you to wire down to .5, it can do a good amount more power. price is $450+ship mint condition.

Hmm you may be able to get a dirty 2400 and 1 second. You can see the true power of the amp posted on their site, steve meade tests the amp.
iirc they push a little over 1400, but after dc resistance and box rise his subs will be getting about half rms.

I have a Mmats 3500.05 for sale that will do 2k@1ohm. If its possible for you to wire down to .5, it can do a good amount more power. price is $450+ship mint condition.
The amp Meade tested did 2406 clean watts on the dynamic burst test. That test is the closest simulation to music that one can get on a resistive load.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.