Amp,sub and alternator question for a new setup

nick911

CA
Hey all I'm new to the whole "car audio thing" and have some very important things before i take my build to the next level.

Car: Chrysler Cirrus 1996

Alternator: Handles 90 amps (not 100 percent sure) I looked this up as spare parts and 90 is what I have found)

Speakers: 2 Infinity kappas front(65 watt RMS)

Speakers: 2 Infinity kappa 6x9 rear(90 watt RMS)

Sub to power speakers: Kicker ZX350.4

Wiring:8 gage wire(18feet) from battery to sub.

I want to add a sub!!

What i plan to get: Kicker 15" S15L5 Powered L5 Sub Box W/ ZX750.1 Amplifier & 4 Gauge Kit

Any other suggestions cause I feel this is the best bang for the buck. I will also wire this to 2 Ohm

Issue: Will my alternator handle this much power? i calculated that my alternator handles a max of around 1080 watts and the total of this is 1100 RMS roughly.

Wiring: Seems I have to rewire from 8 gage to 4 gage to handle the added power. Now do I have to rewire the alternator to the battery and redo the ground wire since I'm MAXING my car out? How will this effect my car's longevity? Any issues maxing my car?

Thank you all for your help and dedication to help a new persone to the whole "car audio" thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember the rule is 15A for each 100 watts. Also add the power the car takes itself w heater, ac, lights etc going is usually about 60% of the alt rating at idle.

That doesn't help much at all. I know it can run the setup cause the amp only draws the power it needs to power the speakers when I up the volume and that my alt produces its 90amps at about 2k RPM. I want to know how much I can handle before its an issue so I know not to do to much to drain the battery and not start my car.

And I need my questions answered if not I will find an audio store and ask them.

That doesn't help much at all. I know it can run the setup cause the amp only draws the power it needs to power the speakers when I up the volume and that my alt produces its 90amps at about 2k RPM. I want to know how much I can handle before its an issue so I know not to do to much to drain the battery and not start my car.
And I need my questions answered if not I will find an audio store and ask them.
You do that and see if they dont try to sell you something.

You need either a better battery, another battery or a better alt. End of story. Whether you like it or not.

I know it can run it but maxing it out is an issue yes. To max it out need new alt or w/e yes but I don't want to do that. I'm trying to do this with what I have. I'm asking will my car be able to run normally with lets say, 80percent volume level?

Youll be fine. Maybe get a new battery if u get some dimming. But put it in and see, doesnt hurt to try.

Also, u can pry get a louder setup for cheaper than that kicker setup. I have a hfionics brutus forsale if ur interested, 1600 @1ohm 225$.

K you asked for free advice. Im sure there is a Car audio store near you.

How much you want to bet his local car audio shop tries to sell him something useless such as a capacitor in lieu of a battery or something else that will actually help?

I managed to get by on my Civic's stock electrical when I had a Rockford Fosgate Punch P5002 powering my subwoofer and a Linear Power 1502IQ powering my components with a total of 85 amps of pure Class AB fusing on a 85 amp alternator. My only upgrades at that time were replacing the stock battery with a Kinetik HC1400 along with upgrading the grounds to perform the Big 2 of 3.

just add a batt in the trunk. I ran roughly 1800rms off a stock 75 amp subaru alt with the big three done 1 run of 1/0 stock front batt and an spv70 in the trunk. No dimming and never dropped under 12.8volts

just add a batt in the trunk. I ran roughly 1800rms off a stock 75 amp subaru alt with the big three done 1 run of 1/0 stock front batt and an spv70 in the trunk. No dimming and never dropped under 12.8volts
Ya a bat (baseball) in the trunk prolly hits harder too?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.