Amp stopped working, Blown fuze or somethinh else?

EFD307

New York
so i was driving around today and turned up my music a bit louder than i usually do and the bass in the song was pretty heavy, all of a sudden the sub cut out, i immediately clicked to the next song and turned the volume down a bit and the sub came back on right away. on my way home tonight same situation happened except this time the sub wont come back on. I checked the inline fuze under the hood and it looks intact,i took a peak at the 2 30A fuses in the amp, they are jammed in there pretty good, i didn't bother grabbing pliers and trying to pull them out but they looked OK from the side . The amp doesn't light up when i turn the car on. I bridged the remote and power terminals on the amp and it turned the light on but was still no output from the sub. Any one know what happened? sub issue? amp issue? other issue?

The amp was on today but quickly turned off when i started playing music at normal volume. im gettin 12 volts from remote to power and 14 volts from remote to ground but im not geting much from power to ground on the amp. does this mean the ground is bad?

That could be a possibility, did u wire it urself if so check it and get some sandpaper to clean the area, or take it back to the installer if u don't knife where the ground is and have them fix it

I did it myself, i installed the same system 6 months ago with a friend of mine who's done it before before. I totaled that car but salvaged most of the system. i remember taking my dremel to the bolt last time i installed, i didnt do that this time so that could be the problem.

No not all the time. The only way the fuse would have blown is if something caused excessive current draw
so what could have made the amp go? its an alpine amp and from what ive read they dont seem to just die like this. i suspect a bad ground. rookie mistake on my part.

you are getting t12 from the remote to power. that means the remote wire is trying to power the amp battery feed. look for loose battery connection, pull the main fuse and measure it. especially if it's the round agu? fuse, they tend to break connection from the element to cap. i suspect from vibration. figure if you have power at battery and both sides of the fuse

you are getting t12 from the remote to power. that means the remote wire is trying to power the amp battery feed. look for loose battery connection, pull the main fuse and measure it. especially if it's the round agu? fuse, they tend to break connection from the element to cap. i suspect from vibration. figure if you have power at battery and both sides of the fuse
I have power at battery and on the amp terminals i have 12 volts across the power to remote and remote to ground, i couldent get a decent reading across the fuze but i think that is probably because the probe isnt getting a good connection, if its getting to the amp it should be going threw that fuze. Im taking it to a local audio shop to see if those guys have any suggestions, hopefully they will take a look at it even though its not their equipment. if not i just bought the MRV-500 from Ebay for 80$ should be here any day. ill hook that up and see if its my wiring or the amp.

today i took a dremel to the ground bolt and roughed it up a bit hoping for a better ground connection; that didnt seam to work. same problem. the amp turned on for a but but then cut out when i turned up the volume. im not turning it up too high normal listening volume for me is 12-16 then up to 19-23 if im getting into it. the dial goes to 30. when it cuts out its around 20. i cant find a protect LED on the amp but hopefully ill get it figured out soon.

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I have power at battery and on the amp terminals i have 12 volts across the power to remote and remote to ground, i couldent get a decent reading across the fuze but i think that is probably because the probe isnt getting a good connection, if its getting to the amp it should be going threw that fuze. Im taking it to a local audio shop to see if those guys have any suggestions, hopefully they will take a look at it even though its not their equipment. if not i just bought the MRV-500 from Ebay for 80$ should be here any day. ill hook that up and see if its my wiring or the amp.
today i took a dremel to the ground bolt and roughed it up a bit hoping for a better ground connection; that didnt seam to work. same problem. the amp turned on for a but but then cut out when i turned up the volume. im not turning it up too high normal listening volume for me is 12-16 then up to 19-23 if im getting into it. the dial goes to 30. when it cuts out its around 20. i cant find a protect LED on the amp but hopefully ill get it figured out soon.

Thanks for the feed back guys.
The remote and main power inputs should have 0 volts across them, I.E. they are at the same potential. Measure the voltage at both of those terminals with reference to GROUND.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.