amp stays on even when car is off?

marquisbrah
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Okay i have a noob question. Why is my amp staying on all the time? I was recently having some dead battery issues and in the back of my head i was wondering if the amp was maybe staying on? Well i didnt check and put a different battery in yesterday. This morning the car barely started. I turned it off and went to check the amp and the power light was lighting green! I figured i should start there. I took out the remote wire and the protection light turned on red. Then i took out the power and ground and called it a day. Hopefully it was a remote lead touching on the power. Will check later. Any suggestions as to why my amp was staying on? If this would be an amp issue, is it fixable? Thanks in advance guys. Fyi the amp is a kx 1200.1 by kicker.

You can use a DMM(meter) to test the fuses in your fuse block. Some times car companies will leave empty fuse spots powered. Try and find one that is off when the key is off but then power up when the key is turned on.

I would not use any fuses for your ecu, fuel injection or anything pertaining to safety for your remote signal.

well i had two of these amps strapped to two l7s and then had them each individually to each l7. Ive sold one and kept the other to power my DD2515 in the same car. L7s are gone. My stereo constant wire is bad so i wired it to a fuse that was powered when the car was off. Can i connect my remote to a similar fuse but one that is off and on when the car starts? This morning the power light was on and as soon as i disconnected the remote, the protection light came on.

well i had two of these amps strapped to two l7s and then had them each individually to each l7. Ive sold one and kept the other to power my DD2515 in the same car. L7s are gone. My stereo constant wire is bad so i wired it to a fuse that was powered when the car was off. Can i connect my remote to a similar fuse but one that is off and on when the car starts? This morning the power light was on and as soon as i disconnected the remote, the protection light came on.
Yes, you dont want it hooked to a wire that is live when the car is off. You just answered your own question. Look for a fuse that isn't live when car is off. If that is not an option, which it should be, you could run a switch between the amp and the fuse and just switch the amp off and on as you please.

Yes, you dont want it hooked to a wire that is live when the car is off. You just answered your own question. Look for a fuse that isn't live when car is off. If that is not an option, which it should be, you could run a switch between the amp and the fuse and just switch the amp off and on as you please.
Well the fuse option is assuming that the remote is bad. But my concern was that the power light was on when the car was off, and the remote was disconnected and the protection light went on. this was when my car was off, so im assuming neither of these should happen when the car is off? Also i was considering the switch thing but im not too familiar with that. How would i install a switch? Seems like a cool little addition lol

Well the fuse option is assuming that the remote is bad. But my concern was that the power light was on when the car was off, and the remote was disconnected and the protection light went on. this was when my car was off, so im assuming neither of these should happen when the car is off? Also i was considering the switch thing but im not too familiar with that. How would i install a switch? Seems like a cool little addition lol
Oh, I am not sure why it would be on with the car off and no remote hooked up. Thats weird. If there is absolutely no live wire touching the remote turn on, then there may be something wrong with the amp. You can just pick up a switch from Autozone or anywhere, really, and just cut the turn on wire, running the switch between the turn on source and the amp. Then you just turn the switch on and off.

try splicing into the wire for your car cig lighter if you dont want to do the fuse thing.

Oh, I am not sure why it would be on with the car off and no remote hooked up. Thats weird. If there is absolutely no live wire touching the remote turn on, then there may be something wrong with the amp. You can just pick up a switch from Autozone or anywhere, really, and just cut the turn on wire, running the switch between the turn on source and the amp. Then you just turn the switch on and off.
I didnt look into it with a whole lot of detail, but maybe the remote was touching the power wire at the time of removal, causing the protection light but i didnt have a lot of time, so i just came to work... The switch goes on the remote wire? Hopefully its just a matter of rewiring the amp, but ill have to check in more detail

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...